Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

my 1985 XR350r

Recommended Posts

is the biggest pile of shit ive ever had.

it runs great, has good power, rides pretty nice

all is good except IT NEVER ****ING STARTS.

JUNK

tonight was the 5th time ive driven out to the riding spot and had it not start, and there isnt a single reason why it shouldn't start. i do everything the same everytime, it has about a 75% chance of starting, but in the last month its been about 25% chance of starting.

nothing has changed... new plugs, pull starting, etc... won't start.

i feel like taking this peice of shit and ghost riding it off a cliff. :censored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the carb plugged? Valves adjusted? Good compression? What kind of jetting are you running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is the carb plugged? Valves adjusted? Good compression? What kind of jetting are you running?

clean, just adjusted valves, yes, stock

:censored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the rfvc 250 engine is basicaly crap i have had them all 250 rfvc , 350 rfvc , 500 600, all the same carbs , doubble trouble , i'de say its your trouble or a week stator causing week spark , and thats only the beginning , its a high maintenance engine , i have 2 xr-350's scrapped if you ever need any parts let me know , leonardellis23@hotmail.com you might want to do a compression check also , could be a cracked head there known for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the rfvc 250 engine is basicaly crap i have had them all 250 rfvc , 350 rfvc , 500 600, all the same carbs , doubble trouble , i'de say its your trouble or a week stator causing week spark , and thats only the beginning , its a high maintenance engine , i have 2 xr-350's scrapped if you ever need any parts let me know , leonardellis23@hotmail.com you might want to do a compression check also , could be a cracked head there known for that

well the compression is enough to rack of shin off on the foot peg all the damn time.

it has a lot of compression, and it makes it worse that the automatic compression release cable is not hooked up

if id have bought this bike brand new i would be extremely pissed off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
clean, just adjusted valves, yes, stock

:censored:

Huh, don't know what to tell ya. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are sure that you have checked and eliminated everything else, then it is time to try a stator. Hard starting is a symptom of a stator that is going bad. The problem with these engines is that the carbs can make it hard to start too. It's hard to know if it really is the stator.

The ignition coil and the pickup coil can also go bad, but not as often as the stator. The CDI can go bad too, but it is the most reliable part of the ignition system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got it started, changed plug to one it wouldn't start with about a week ago.

went riding tonight in the dark and in the mud, wasn't any fun. too hard to ride in the woods when its muddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the one you found at the bottom of a lake some place? If it is, it's more than likely electrical. Take a good hard look at your coil. Use a magnifying glass. Look for little tracks right at the nipple where it's not clean and smooth looking like the rest of the material. Get a new plug wire. Get a manual or take it to a shop and have them test the stator output. Check for corroded connections in all the little wire sockets. Take note of the weather/humidity on the times it starts versus the times it don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  1. Drain the carb every time you go to ride - drain it on the gound before you try to start it.
  2. Make sure that the decompression cable is adjusted properly (the one coming from the kickstarter to the cylinder head.) Or just remove it if it can be kicked over okay without it.
  3. Use an iridium plug
  4. Remove the resistor from the spark plug cap and replace it with a short hunk of thick guage copper wire.

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Drain the carb every time you go to ride - drain it on the gound before you try to start it.
  2. Make sure that the decompression cable is adjusted properly (the one coming from the kickstarter to the cylinder head.) Or just remove it if it can be kicked over okay without it.
  3. Use an iridium plug
  4. Remove the resistor from the spark plug cap and replace it with a short hunk of thick guage copper wire.

jeff

1. i guess i could try that

2. cable is off

3. think that will help? aren't they pretty spendy?

4. already removed it

Im trading this bike for a 85 tri z 250. so it really doesnt matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you have spark, gas, air and compression it should go then.

yea it should. tell that to everyone who has one of these lol...

all the people who took their bike back to the dealership and said take this peice of junk back when they were brand new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a new 350R in '85. I liked it so well I bought a used one 3 years later, wore them both out, they were great bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I bought a new 350R in '85. I liked it so well I bought a used one 3 years later, wore them both out, they were great bikes.

ive heard many stories of people taking their XR's back to the dealership because they wouldn't start or were very hard to start, start somtimes, sometimes not, etc... and some of these were el start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had some advice for you. I bought an '85 brand new and still have. I have changed all of the plastic, seat cover etc. but mechanically I have never touched it other than oil, filter and tire changes. Even after sitting all winter it will fire on the second or third kick. As with everything gas powered that I have I generally run a half a tank or so of 100LL AvGas in it the first trip or so out. Even the old lawn mower that has been abused an sits out all winter in Montana will fire on the firts or second pull on the stuff. It might be worth a shot......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys must have bought some messed up bikes,I owned a XL185,XL600,XR600 and XR250,and other than oil changes,theyre not high maintenance,did you buy a pile of junk from some one else that was all boogered up when you got it?,I still have a 86XR600 and a 99 XR250,both of which run strong as a muh fuh,XRs last for a long long time if you take care of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×