Sign in to follow this  

is it legal?

The XL's were street legal, I can't remember what the last year for it was. Early-mid 90's I think. An XR250 can be made street legal with a Baja Designs dual purpose kit.

Check your state laws before you order anything though to make sure it's possible to make a bike street legal and see what the requirements are.

91-96 XR250L are 100% plateable in any state because they came that way from the factory, but plating an off road XR250R is certainly possible in many states.

is the xr 250 street legal? if so what years?

I'd imagine that Oklahoma's DMV is pretty liberal with street legalizing dirtbikes. Idaho is the same way. I got a plate for my XR600 with an "off road only" title no inspection required. I also got a title (the PO lost it) for my CR500 frame not stamped "off road only." That's very interesting.

Different states have different laws for what makes a bike "street legal." Idaho is:

Headlight

Tail light

Brake light operated by a brake pedal/lever

Rear brake

Front fender

Horn

One mirror.

A muffler meeting XYZ dB.

I don't need DOT tires, a front brake, blinkers, battery, or anything else. I would never ride in traffic with those minimums...even though I would be legally in the right, I'd still be dead when Momma Minivan runs me over.

Talk to your DMV. They usually have a pamphlet on the registration counter with this kind of info.

Good luck!

"O"