Sign in to follow this  

Help Me Buy This XR250

Been looking at 250s for my son. Found a nice '01 tonight - very low hours, super clean. Snorkle removed, baffle removed (billet tip installed), and a uni-filter are the only mods. No change to jetting. I'd buy this bike - if it ran... It started on the 2nd kick, cold. Idled quite high with the choke on. Let it warm for about 15-20 minutes, but could never get the choke lever down without it dieing. Rode it a couple blocks and it still stalled. Finally got it to idle with the choke off, but about every 30-45 seconds it just cuts out - dead. Starts right back up, then dies, like starved for fuel. I'm thinking maybe a dirty carb? I'm thinking I could get it at a reasonable price given it didn't show very well.... Just want to be sure I can fix it. Any ideas folks?

Clogged main jet maybe.... What happens under acceleration? If it bogs, then I'd think a carb issue. It could also be the pilot screw setting (fuel/air mixture). Did you check to see how far in/out it was? Also, pull the plug and do a visual check. Is it oily or burned? Do you see massive gas? ....we need more info!

Also, what type of riding will your son be doing and how old is he? I love my XR, it was rock solid.

andy t.

I'm thinking it's running lean if you have to leave the choke on for it to run (and the fact that it has some mods and stock jetting). I know my dads XR650L (with horribly lean jetting, it pops a lot on decel) runs a lot better if you give it just a little bit of choke.

Agreed. Remove the drain plug (17mm)on the float bowl. Remove main jet after the main plug and be sure it is not partially clogged. If that does not do it, remove the entire bowl and clean idle jet.

Been looking at 250s for my son. Found a nice '01 tonight - very low hours, super clean. Snorkle removed, baffle removed (billet tip installed), and a uni-filter are the only mods. No change to jetting. I'd buy this bike - if it ran... It started on the 2nd kick, cold. Idled quite high with the choke on. Let it warm for about 15-20 minutes, but could never get the choke lever down without it dieing. Rode it a couple blocks and it still stalled. Finally got it to idle with the choke off, but about every 30-45 seconds it just cuts out - dead. Starts right back up, then dies, like starved for fuel. I'm thinking maybe a dirty carb? I'm thinking I could get it at a reasonable price given it didn't show very well.... Just want to be sure I can fix it. Any ideas folks?

I would check the following. All of which have caused what you describe.

Clogged jets

Sucking air between carb and cylinder

Kill switch

Stuck float

Doesn't sound like major. Good luck :censored:

I agree that the jetting is off. If the PO left the stock jets in it after doing the intake and exhaust mods, it's too lean. Carb could probably use a thorough cleaning too. If this is all you found wrong with it, grab it. Easy fix.

I have a 01 xr250 with uni filter, snorkel removed, white bros e-series, and runs excellent with slightly bigger jets. I don't remember what they were exactly, but I think there was a 250 sticky thread that recomended the size.

From your description, sure sounds like it is not getting enough fuel. Start with the petcock to make sure that sufficient fuel is getting to the carb. Check the breather hose on the fuel cap, I have seen them plugged and not allow fuel to the carb. Pull the carb, remove the float bowl, main and pilot jets and check for crap in the bowl, clogged jets and low float level. Check for air leakage where the carb is clamped into the manifold. There is an O-ring seal where the intake manifold bolts to the head that can leak air. Keep us posted on your progress.

Here's what I'd do:

Use the issue as a bargaining point, and get the bike a little cheaper. It sounds like it would be worth the gambe. Get the bike, take it home, and clean the carb really well. Make sure the intake is buttoned down and put everything back together.

Let it warm for about 15-20 minutes, but could never get the choke lever down without it dieing. Rode it a couple blocks and it still stalled. Finally got it to idle with the choke off, but about every 30-45 seconds it just cuts out - dead. Starts right back up, then dies, like starved for fuel. I'm thinking maybe a dirty carb? I'm thinking I could get it at a reasonable price given it didn't show very well.... Just want to be sure I can fix it. Any ideas folks?

Did you try adjusting the idle speed up with the big black knob intended for that purpose? I would try that before I did anything else. Not saying it won't need other idle mixture adjustments or air leak repair too.

Thanks for all the input folks. I ride an xr400 so I'm no stranger to the carbs., etc. on these bikes. I fiddled with it the best I could, but could make no improvement. I suspect it has just sat so long that it needs a good cleaning/carb. rebuild. I'm particularly sensitive to this one as it has been for sale for a while. These usually "fly off the shelf" where I am. I'm obviously not the only one to be concerned. I'll make an offer and see where it goes. Trying hard to bring anoher (my son) into the XR fold:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! I bought this bike last night. Cleaned the fuel system (gas in the tank and bowl was orange) and rejetted. It's running great! My son and I are off to trail test it.

Thanks everyone! I bought this bike last night. Cleaned the fuel system (gas in the tank and bowl was orange) and rejetted. It's running great! My son and I are off to trail test it.

:censored::ride: