Electric Start Problems

I've had a problem with my e-start for a while. I bought a new battery and that wasn't it. (both tested o.k.) Then I thought that the relay was the problem- as I heard a clicking noise from that area- that did nothing. I re-charged the battery and took the bike out last week. The e-start still didn't work, It would turn the starter very slowly or just click. After washing the bike and taking it home I tried the starter and it worked no problem. I tried it tonight and nothing happened. My question; is there something that I can do to test the starter before I pull it and order another? Maybe run a wire direct to it from the battery? My bike is a 2004 and I have hammered it. I have re-built just about everything on it.(some things twice). I race the bike in hare scrambles and really need the button. I haven't seen too many stories about starters. I don't have a problem pulling the starter but wouldn't mind something easier for a change. I just re-built the entire transmission after some guy crashed into me going in the wrong direction on a one-way trail.Thanks for any tips.

If it worked fine after it was not working for a while.. I suspect a loose wire somewhere or a kinked wire more then a bad starter.. if the starter goes bad not too much chance it will work once in a while.. it will burn up.. or spin freely.. Running a wire is one way to check your circuit, just look at the wiring diagram and jump out the power wire... Hope someone else can help ya as well! Good Luck!

I don't know what tools you have but lets start with a test light(volt meter is preferred) and see if the starter is getting juice. Put the test light probe under the rubber covered post on the starter and the clamp lead on the (-)battery and push the e button(with the clutch pulled) does it light up? Take the test light and clamp the positive on the battery and use the test light on the starter ground(on the starter bolt) and see if it lights up?

If you are getting juice and have a voltmeter you can see if you are getting a voltage drop- too much would indicate excess load from the starter or bad connection. Make sure your connections on the starter are not corroded, the rubber covered starter one gets pretty rusted up.

FYI Bad starter armature or worn out starter brushes can cause it to be intermittent but I would like to rule everything out first because its the most expensive piece.

If you are not getting juice we can go on to the starter relay system.

Make sure your electrical connections are clean and tight, especially the ground and positive connection from the battery to the starter. If the starter is turning over slow, it's either not getting enough juice to spin it or it, has a mechanical problem in the starter itself. You can pull it off and bench test it with a good battery if every thing else checks out.

Before you pull the starter off,hang in there and some one will confirm this or do a search in this forum on starter or dead battery.

I remember reading in a thread that there is wire behind the front number plate that the connection either gets gummed up or theres a fuse up there.check it out:thumbsup:

I remember that post as well. I don't remember the details but the info is out there. Probably a bad wire.

I remember that post as well. I don't remember the details but the info is out there. Probably a bad wire.

I also had this happen.:censored: It is the wiring behind the headlight going from the clutch switch over to e button. There is a plug under the speedometer that can wear. If I remember correctly it is a yellow wire.

I don't know how to post a link,but if you search this forum the third thread (E-start dead or battery) I Think you might find what your looking for.:censored:

I tried to find the thread but coulden't.

To post a link, select the whole address from the adress bar, copy it, and paste it in the post like this.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470824

If thats what you meant by you don't know how to post a link :ride: if not, My bad for misunderstanding.?

I tried to find the thread but coulden't.

To post a link, select the whole address from the adress bar, copy it, and paste it in the post like this.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470824

If thats what you meant by you don't know how to post a link :censored: if not, My bad for misunderstanding. :ride:

Thats what I meant.Thanks.