Question concerning rod length?????

I am rebuilding a buds 84' Z50r, I bought a 03' xr50r cylinder, piston, and head from a member here on thumpertalk. It is in real good shape but ive heard alot about the rod length. Does it matter if you bought the complete top end? I took it, if you bought the head and all it would fit, am i right? I just got all the carbon removed from the head and piston, it looks new! Thanks

The '82 and newer crank rod is a long rod engine, and, as long as you use the complete top end assembly from the '03, you will be fine. The '81 and older engines were short rod, and the pistons have a taller deck height. As a general rule, you can't use a long rod top end on a short rod engine, and vice versa. Also, you cannot use just a stock CRF/XR head on a Z50 lower end, you have to use the flat-top piston. The slight dome of the Z50 piston will contact the newer style head.

Thanks for the responses, i was starting to worry.:ride:

There are still a couple of issues, i have to put the crankshaft back in the head, and try to find some circlips. Anyone have a link to a site that explains how to reassemble the head? Also, anyone have any useable circlips they could send me? I might be able to find the old ones, but after the piston shattered I'm not so sure they're usable. Thanks alot!:censored: