Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop D739

hey i have been running the D739 dunlop or the D739 A/T on my XR400 the last couple of times and have like them. i have made it around in places where my dads S12 wouldn't take him. :censored: anyone run these regularly? and if anyone used too but switched to something what else what do you use now?

also has anyone used the IRC VE40 Volcanduro tire?

i got an xr400 for refference

hey i have been running the D739 dunlop or the D739 A/T on my XR400 the last couple of times and have like them. i have made it around in places where my dads S12 wouldn't take him. :censored: anyone run these regularly? and if anyone used too but switched to something what else what do you use now?

also has anyone used the IRC VE40 Volcanduro tire?

i got an xr400 for refference

I use the s12 for the areas and tracks here in oregon, they seem to last the longest for my ride, and riding conditions.

I ran the 739s all the time until I discovered the Maxxis Desert IT. Put a set of these on before a trip to Baja last year. The terrain there is similar to that in central Oregon and I got at least a 3rd more wear out of them over the 739s - and they were alot cheaper! I just bought a new bike that came with 756/739 and I'll be putting a set of Desert ITs on as soon as they wear out.

I ran the 739s on my Yamaha WR400F until after face planting one too many times in the slime at Capitol Forest. Changed to 756's and 773's for the woods and all was good after that. Now I run Bridgestone 201's and 401's on my KTM.

I will admit that the 739 was an excellent wearing tire. It lasted forever it seemed. It works well on hard surfaces so long as they are dry. Even worked well in the rocks.

For my trip next week to the California desert I tried looking for a set to buy and use down there, but the local dealer didn't have any.

I like the 739 on hard surfaces (just like dunlop says) and for everything else I like the 756 or 756RR. The 756RR even works well into conditions that are getting pretty hard.

I ran the 739s all the time until I discovered the Maxxis Desert IT. Put a set of these on before a trip to Baja last year. The terrain there is similar to that in central Oregon and I got at least a 3rd more wear out of them over the 739s - and they were alot cheaper! I just bought a new bike that came with 756/739 and I'll be putting a set of Desert ITs on as soon as they wear out.

Do you really like that Desert IT front? The rear is a great tire for almost anything except mud.... the front I found only good for burning:busted: I will run the IT rear and SI front for the Desert, otherwise it's S-12's:thumbsup:

Do you really like that Desert IT front? The rear is a great tire for almost anything except mud.... the front I found only good for burning:busted: I will run the IT rear and SI front for the Desert, otherwise it's S-12's:thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with the SI. Why do you like it? Why don't you like the IT up front? Always looking for experienced opinions.

Greg

I'm not familiar with the SI. Why do you like it? Why don't you like the IT up front? Always looking for experienced opinions.

Greg

I found the IT would not hold under the slightest bit of agression while turning... now understand I only run the Maxxis during the Desert 100 once a year but I am with the club putting it on and I get to do 700+ miles of Desert in a week. I bought the Maxxis last year because of their reputation in preventing flats and I did not get a flat all week :censored: The IT rear almost still looks new, I just rode Mattawa with it a couple weeks and the thing hooks up! I will run the rear again this April for what I hope turns out to be another 700 + mile week :ride: The SI is Maxxis' intermediate tire. it seems to hold in the turns better than the IT but still has a pretty stiff carcass to help avoid pinch flats. Last year I had Maxxis as a sponsor and I tried the SI's at some of our off road events in WA (mud, loam, etc...) and they can't compare to the S-12's and the rear SI wore and started to chunk real fast.

In closing - I love the IT rear and if I ever wear out the one I have, I will buy another for sure. The Si front is a good desert tire in my opinion.

• Like 1

I found the IT would not hold under the slightest bit of agression while turning... now understand I only run the Maxxis during the Desert 100 once a year but I am with the club putting it on and I get to do 700+ miles of Desert in a week. I bought the Maxxis last year because of their reputation in preventing flats and I did not get a flat all week :censored: The IT rear almost still looks new, I just rode Mattawa with it a couple weeks and the thing hooks up! I will run the rear again this April for what I hope turns out to be another 700 + mile week :ride: The SI is Maxxis' intermediate tire. it seems to hold in the turns better than the IT but still has a pretty stiff carcass to help avoid pinch flats. Last year I had Maxxis as a sponsor and I tried the SI's at some of our off road events in WA (mud, loam, etc...) and they can't compare to the S-12's and the rear SI wore and started to chunk real fast.

In closing - I love the IT rear and if I ever wear out the one I have, I will buy another for sure. The Si front is a good desert tire in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice. After running the desert IT in Baja I still had 2 500 mile back country trip miles of life left in it. I was astonished. Couldn't believe it lasted that much longer than the 739s I was used to. I'll take your suggestion and go with the SI up front next time. The ITs are still on my old bike but I just bought a new WR450 that came with 756 rear and 739 front. I thought that a strange combo as I expected to see them reversed. But I've noticed my front end wants to wash out...I haven't isolated it to any particular reason - could be new bike, lack of ability on my part, suspension breaking in, 739 front. Who knows - but I'll try the SI.

Greg

Thanks for the advice. I just bought a new WR450 that came with 756 rear and 739 front.

Greg

An 07'? I hopefully pick mine up next month:thumbsup:

An 07'? I hopefully pick mine up next month:thumbsup:

Yep, It is quite a bike.