Sign in to follow this  

I picked up my bike!

Literally, I picked it up with my own two arms, such that both wheels and all parts were off the ground. And I moved it onto my stand, too.

I'm relatively new to the dirtbike world, also when compared to the streetbike world. I've not done much maintenance to the dirtbike yet, save for a couple oil changes, so the stand hasn't really been used. Once I tried to put the bike on it for shits-n-giggles. You know, you just have to try something out when you first get it, right? I don't think I made it all the way and gave up, figuring I'll obtain the technique when the time is necessary.

Well, I'm getting the tires changed so I needed to put it on the stand to get the wheels off. My initial placement had it too far forward. Crap. It can't really slide on the stand either. So I put my left arm under the lower, front frame spar, and my right under the lower subframe spar. HEAVE. Yeah, I put my arms around the bike and lifted it up. ('88 XR250R...dry weight of 240...bike is completely wet)

Not bad for a small-framed, 5'7" guy, eh? Damned good thing I am strong. (Thank you weight lifting!) It's a good thing I only spent $20 on this standard dirtbike stand (which might normally retail for $40 to $50, but I wait for deals), 'cause I think it's already time for one of those pedal-raising stands or whatever they are called! Or maybe I just need to go to school and learn the correct technique for putting a bike on a static stand.

New tires by this weekend! These cheap Shinko DP's are worthless....and that's coming from someone who doesn't even know better yet! (I have never ridden on knobbies.)

:censored:

Its quite easy actually, takes much less effort than you were using haha.

K first you turn the handlebars all the way towards the side youre on...

2nd you grab the rear fender as close to the seat as possible..

3rd you lift up on the rear fender while simultaneously pushing the side of the bar towards the bike and give it a little "Hip-Bump".

4th work on your bike.. cuz god knows these 4-strokers need a lot of it quite often. :censored:

I just got a Fly lift stand off ebay for $40 shipped. I wait for the deals too :censored:

How high is the stand? To get my bike on the current bucket I use, place it between the tires, grab under the rear fender / subframe, lift and pull it forward. Then adjust as necessary.

You dont need to work on an xr250. Just ride it lol

ya i was just about to ask why he was working on an XR

I needed it on the stand to get the wheels off!

Oil changes, and now sprockets, chain, and tires are the only maintenance this bike has had since I've bought it! I never even bothered to check the valves! I'm sure the suspension could use a rebuild. That may come in the future when I have enough skill for it to make a difference.

My buddy had an XR50R also and we could lift it onto the stand when we didn't use the kickstand. Just had to get that it before it bugged me all day. No pun intended just have a very large sense of humor.