Sign in to follow this  

Please, please, please get your suspension done!

This is a regular maintenance thing guys. Either learn how to do it or have it done. Don't just keep riding it forever. Here's why.

I just got a guys forks off his 04 CRF450. Never been done since factory. Why not? Seals never blew. Man, what I found inside was a joke. What oil was left in the outer tubes was as dirty as I have seen. On the brake side fork there was still a bit left inside the inner chamber. On the right side fork there was about nothing left inside the inner chamber. Now we have to drill out the four peen spots to change the inner chamber damping rod seal and possibly the bushing. Then we have to check to make sure the inner chamber compression/spring unit seal and bushing are still in tact and replace if necessary. Hopefully the outer tubes have not been damaged due to lack of lubrication otherwise they have to be re-anodized.

All this could have been avoided with regular maintenance. Guys, $100 for an oil change at a local suspension shop ($120 with new seals) or just the price of oil (seals), if you do it your self, is a pretty cheap investment to keeping the bike working well.

Guys, just do it or have it done.

Spot on crf...

I have no machanical background but using the instructions below done mine no problem.

First attempt took about 2 hours what with the reading and the occasional beer, the 2nd time took me 45 minutes max, piece of cake chaps.

Now it costs me $50 for Honda seals/dust caps or $20 for Jap seals (IMO just as good) and $14 for 1ltr Silcoline 5w oil. Note you will need 1ltr if only changing outer chamber if changing both 2ltrs are required.

So thats a total of $78 if you go Honda or $34-$48 if you go Jap seals and thats it!!!

Fork seal replacement Instructions:

http://www.dezertrangers.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=20;t=21948

Instructions on cheap fork seal driver tool:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455799

Get it done!!!

Goes the same for the rear shock too. Follow the manual and get the items checked. Seriously the life you save could be yours. There isnt a brace, or protective item that can replace that.

Hey Ken,

Those forks have been serviced at least three times. But what might have happened is that they didn't change the oil in the inner chambers. Can you get the forks done by Sunday? We want to go to Bagge on Sunday .

Guys, $100 for an oil change at a local suspension shop ($120 with new seals) or just the price of oil (seals)

Apparently I'm not charging enough. I do it for $110 plus parts for both ends of the bike.

Apparently I'm not charging enough. I do it for $110 plus parts for both ends of the bike.

Yeah, definitely cheaper than you should be based on everyone else's pricing.

Hey Ken,

Those forks have been serviced at least three times. But what might have happened is that they didn't change the oil in the inner chambers. Can you get the forks done by Sunday? We want to go to Bagge on Sunday .

Sorry man, Bagge's is closed until further notice. He's going East and doesn't want to worry about the place till he's back. Forks should be done by Sunday eve.