Sign in to follow this  

Top Maintenance for the XR

Alright, i have browsed about fifty posts while in the midst of a sleepless night, thinking about my next ride on the XR. Everything from Valve adjustment to fork adjustments. I want to improve my ride and also want to maintain it properly.

So, what are the top five or ten maintenance items for the XR, aside from the obvious oil change at regular intervals.?

Here's my .02 worth: Valve adjustment, which i plan on tackling in the next few weeks. Brakes, new fluid, pads. Tires. Chain sag adjustment. ??

Thanks for the input as usual.

side note, I think i need to adjust my forks as they are stock and seem soft to me.:censored:

As far as regular maintenance goes.

1. Change Your Oil

2. Clean/Oil Filter

3. Clean/Oil chain

4. Keep chain adjusted right

My Dad's XR600 hasn't had valves adjusted in over 7 years and is still running fine. Just gave it a new Spark Plug after 6. These bikes are reliable as hell, lots of valve maintenance isn't necessary.

• Like 1

If it's new to you pull the swingarm bolt and coat it with anti-sieze at least. Better would be to lube the bearings as well. Should do the headset bearings, too, and check those in the wheels.

!! WHAT !! NOBODY SAID CLEAN YOUR AIR FILTER YET!!! I do that every other oil change. Ever check the crank case breather to make sure it's open and not welded shut with gunk? If you haven't changed your fork and shock oil yet it's way over due. Look for leaks under the boots. You should do that at least every year. More if you ride it hard for extended periods as the hotter the oil gets the faster it breaks down. Have you ever cleaned out your spark arrester? ...and when you change the oil this next time check the screen in the front frame down tube. Take the gas tank off and completely drain it. Look inside for dirt particles. Rinse it out good with hot soapy water if you see anything. The little plash guard thingy pops right out. Pull and inspect the petcock thingy. Look (I mean look closely) at every square inch of each tire. Look for gashes, nails, torn knobs etc. Look at the sprockets. teeth should be symetrical and the cuts not elongated. Check the cam chain for proper tension. Check and oil control cables. Check all major nuts and bolts (engine mounts, swing arm, suspension linkage, fork pinch clamps, etc...).

There's a full 24 full pages devoted to periodic maintenance in the factory service manual and if you go through it once a year your bike will give you a lot less head aches. Just because it doen't now, and in spite of the stellar reputations these XRs have, don't negelct them.

This is the minimum for a preseason check up before you take that first ride of the year.

Oh. :censored:

I read that the first time as Clean oil filter.

Didn't think that sounded a bit weird eh? I'm not so cheap that I clean and re-use my disposable oil filter.

But doing what XR-rated at the end and beginning of the riding season is great. Best to do one the season ends so you can get a list of parts you want to get and once it gets nice out, you can just jump on and ride.

Didn't think that sounded a bit weird eh? I'm not so cheap that I clean and re-use my disposable oil filter.

Well, I think maybe I was thinking of those stainless steel oil filters that Scotts sell and there are some people out there a whole lot more frugal than I.

:censored: Ok, I just didn't read very carefully.

Oh yeah, I forgot there are re-usable oil filters. Still was a good laugh though.

Excellent. thanks as always for the info. First ride in about three weeks, and i'm ready after having off season shoulder surgery. I'm due for a spin.