Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop D606??

I have an S model that i ride to work everyday about 1 mi. each way. I trail ride almost every-other weekend. Ive been told the d606 is probobly the best tire for me. it gets good traction and wears well. What does everyone think? Is there a better DS tire that I should consider???

A Kenda K760 rear, with a Michelin AC10 front will be far superior to the D606s.

And the Kenda is also MUCH less expensive. These suckers really hook up, and if you do slice one open, it won't break the bank to replace it...

k760.jpg

k760B.jpg

:censored:

The 606 is a very good DS tire.

You asked if there is a better DS tire. No probably not.

But, there are many other very good tires and combo's out there.

For a number of years I ran the 606 rear and the Continental TKC 80 front.

Very good and very useful for a wide range of paved and rough roads. It is NOT a great DIRT combo, nor is it a great ROAD combo. It is a very good DS combo. In other words it excels at nothing and will fail at nothing. It will let you ride a lot of dirt and a lot of hiway and not hate it in either environment.

That is what DS is about.

D606 are not available in Italy but I am happy with Pirelli MT21.

On the street my DRZ-E is very fun and on mountain roads She stays ahead of many street bikes...

Off road they are good enough if it is not too muddy, of course they are dual sport tyres.

Another good DS tyre, used in rally competition and in Africa too is the Michelin Baja. It's hard so long lasting on the tarmac and very good on hard terrains.

Metzeler Karoo are harder than MT21 but softer than Michelin Baja.

The best compromise on DRZ is the MT21, IMO.

I had the D606 till I switched to a trials tire. I thought it was a great tire and rode very well. Nothing wrong with it, but doesn't hold a candlestick to a trials tire, IMO. They wear better and are better for the land on which we ride.

CER

I had the D606 till I switched to a trials tire. I thought it was a great tire and rode very well. Nothing wrong with it, but doesn't hold a candlestick to a trials tire, IMO. They wear better and are better for the land on which we ride.

CER

Hey CER....

I'm in Idaho too. I first used a D606 front/rear combo on my KLX. I didn't care for the front 606 though and switched it out with an AC10. That's the combo I have on there now Front AC10 Rear 606. Can you tell me a little more about the trials tires and why you like them better? I'm still kind of a nOOb and I want to pick the best off road tires for this area. I don't ride on the street except to get to the dirt. Some of the trails are kind of far away though so I still need tires that can handle some street use. :censored:

I have been using 606's for a few years now on KLX 400s. They are good on the road, wear well, but the front can feel like it is washing out in soft terrain. If running 606's, I'd experiment with using less air pressire in the front while offraod and see what you think, other wise I'd suggest a 606 rear with a Kenda front.

Hey CER....

I'm in Idaho too. I first used a D606 front/rear combo on my KLX. I didn't care for the front 606 though and switched it out with an AC10. That's the combo I have on there now Front AC10 Rear 606. Can you tell me a little more about the trials tires and why you like them better? I'm still kind of a nOOb and I want to pick the best off road tires for this area. I don't ride on the street except to get to the dirt. Some of the trails are kind of far away though so I still need tires that can handle some street use. :censored:

Well, think about why Trials bikes use them - it is to get more grip. For how slow they go and what they ride, they need the highest coefficient of friction they can get and the trials tire gives them that. So in turn, if we wanted to get the best grip on the trail, wouldn't we want more friction? The real big difference between our tires and a trials tire is the pressure at which they run. I forgot the recommended tire pressure on the D606, but it was something like 32 psi or somewhere in there. (I can't remember, but I rode at what it said it should run at). The pressure on a trails tire is somewhere between 9 and 12 psi. It runs really low so the tire conforms to rocks and boulders. Since you ride in Idaho, we know all about riding on rocks, boulders, pebbles, etc. The trials tire just conforms to everything - it is sweet. If you really want to see the difference is riding in Moab. Ride there with a regular D606 and then ride with a trials. Holy Cow, it doesn't even compare. If we were to graph it, it wouldn't even show up. The trials tire dominates anything else.

Now the guy who made this post lives in Florida, or so said his name, and this might not be ideal for a person who rarely see rocks. But all I know is where I ride, i.e. The Rocky Mountains the regular knobies aren't in the same category with the trails.

As far as tearing the trails, it is also really nice. It hardly throws up any roost. Some people may not like that, but it hardly tears up a trail. I had the touted Teraflex tire after the D606, and it just ate the trail up like fat kid downing a hot dog. It tore it up so bad. People hated riding behind me, because I would constantly throw up rocks at them. Again, this was kinda cool, but I couldn't get a grip on the trail and it would tear it up. So not only is the trials tire a better tire, but it is also enviornmentally friendly. I am not enviro-freek or tree-hugger, but I do believe we should take care of what we have, before the real enviro-freeks take over.

The trials tire use to be really expensive, but Dunlop just came out with one and it brought the entire trials tire prices down. I think I got mine for $60 or so bucks from Rocky Mountain MC/ATV.

I should say that running a lower tire pressure, it is imperative you get a heavy duty trials tire tube. They are around $20. There is more of a chance of puncturing the tube when riding a low pressures, so you have to get a tube to compensate for that. It is well worth it though. The trials is the ONLY way to go, again in IMO.

CER

I also forgot to mention that they look kinda dorky. Here you have a bunch of knobbies that look as tough as nails and then you see a trials. They look funny and they definitely do not look "cool," but just put one on and then pass those who ride with knobbies who get stuck on a rock formation while you go putzing by because you can grip the rocks and laugh at them while they are pushing their bikes up the hill.

Also the Dunlop is DOT approved so you can ride it on the street. This is a plus for those who ride more on trails then on road.

I forgot the recommended tire pressure on the D606, but it was something like 32 psi or somewhere in there. (I can't remember, but I rode at what it said it should run at). The pressure on a trails tire is somewhere between 9 and 12 psi.

Wow....if you had the 606 at 32 PSI you were wayyyyy overinflated. The pressure stated on the side of the 606 is the max tire pressure. Should have tried them at 12 psi in the dirt.

I am running the 606 front and find it a little washy in the sand, but not too bad once I get rolling. I am going to try a 739 front, see how it runs on road, I am running a 739 rear and love it off road, its a little greasy on wet pavement.

The 739 is a medium terrain tire that seems to hold up pretty well to street use, doesn't last quite as long as a 606, but close. It loves the desert and Hollister trails. Its got nice wide lugs so it looks like a DOT tire, IT IS NOT! I got pulled over but it was never checked.:ride: The cop did look at my front tire DOT:applause: . The 739 is also a little more expensive. I needed a tire in a pinch and the local shop didn't order my 606 in time. The 739 also has a VERY STIFF sidewall :censored: made it a little tough to mount.

Hope that helps

well thanks for the info. i ride in sandy terrain mostly (florida). I can get a set of 606's for $150. I am looking for a more aggressive dot front though. The d606 looks almost like a beefed up Trailwing.

I ride in sandy terrain mostly (florida).

In that case don't buy the 606s. They are a good 50/50 tire, but they absolutley suck in muddy or sandy conditions.

All of my trail riding buddies who have tried the D606s, have never returned to them, and for this reason.

For street use, hardpack, or fire roads, they are fine.

I ride all over Arizona and Baja with 606s and have zero problems with them. Again as someone else said you need to run them at a lower pressure than the maximum rating on the side of the tire. I use 15 psi on road and off.

well thanks for the info. i ride in sandy terrain mostly (florida). I can get a set of 606's for $150. I am looking for a more aggressive dot front though. The d606 looks almost like a beefed up Trailwing.

All Pirelli front tires are DOT.:censored:

I ride all over Arizona and Baja with 606s and have zero problems with them. Again as someone else said you need to run them at a lower pressure than the maximum rating on the side of the tire. I use 15 psi on road and off.

Try a good DOT knobby and I promise you that you'll never go back to a D606.

All of these choices will be far superior to the D606 off road...

Kenda K760 - Low Cost

Michelin AC10 - Medium Cost

Teraflex - Expensive

I have an S model that i ride to work everyday about 1 mi. each way. I trail ride almost every-other weekend. Ive been told the d606 is probobly the best tire for me. it gets good traction and wears well. What does everyone think? Is there a better DS tire that I should consider???

I had the same question last fall, (although my ride to work is 11 miles, not 1, so our intent may not be equal). I went with the D606 based on the recommendations on this website. They gripped OK, but I found them to be noisy and rough on the pavement. I ended up getting a second set of wheels and use the DWs for my commute.

IMHO, if you want decent performance on the street as well as in the dirt and if you can afford a second set of wheels, you won't regret it. However, if you do go with the D606, keep the air pressure up on the pavement. This will take care of some of the noise/vibration.

FWIW: In my knobbie quest last fall, based on my research, the K760 was my second choice.