Sign in to follow this  

Went Orange

Well, I made the jump. Have been riding a street legal DRZ400e when a friend of mine decided he wanted to sell his 03 525EXC also with a tag. One ride was all it took. Couldn't make my DRZ feel that light with a sawzall and liposuction! So, He has done the JD jet kit, put in stiffer springs front and rear, rerouted the vent hose, and done the BK mod. The bike has less than 1000 miles on it 50/50 street/dirt. Besides the obvious things such as adjust the valves and change the oil, anything i should do for preventative maintenence?

keep it clean,( when not getting it dirty) wheel bering grease,swing arms, steer tube and it might be time for a fork oil change.Get a GPR steering damper too if it dose not have one, you Wont be sorry......Great Bike

Welcome to the place where most prior DRZ owners go.... LOL

I too jumped from yellow to orange just recently and I'm so glad I did!!

See my username take a guess at what i used to own. I now have a 450 exc :censored:

One sure way to reassure anyone thinking of going orange is have a look how many people have come from Jap bikes to orange in the forums. Then go in the Jap forums and see how many there have said "my KTM just wasn't up to Jap standards" :ride::lol:

See my username take a guess at what i used to own. I now have a 450 exc :censored:

One sure way to reassure anyone thinking of going orange is have a look how many people have come from Jap bikes to orange in the forums. Then go in the Jap forums and see how many there have said "my KTM just wasn't up to Jap standards" :ride::lol:

Don't think I've run across one of those posts, and I doubt I ever will.

I have also just upgraded from a DRZ400 with lots of money spent on the bike to a 05 KTM 525 EXC with no money spent on the bike and carn't believe the difference in Power and Handling. I just carn't stop talking about it. I'm shaw this bike will improve my riding ability x 10. Orange Orange Orange....

don't forget the xr owners that that have changed over, I love my 03 witches hat it RIPS picked it up a couple of days ago. the maintenance is not that bad my friend only checks his valves every 5000 k's he says unless it hard to start everything fine I think he's done 14000 k's no probs, still goes hard. Ill read the owner manual and make up my own mind on how often to check them.

I'm going orange with an 08 530 excr. Putting the VOR in the corner of the shed and looking forward to it.

Besides the obvious things such as adjust the valves and change the oil, anything i should do for preventative maintenence?

Don't forget to change the shock oil annually too. It is often overlooked. You will see a nice difference in the suspension performance when you change the fluid.

Good luck

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I too made the jump from a highly

modified DRZ440 to a new KTM525EXC back in January. Man, I'm SO glad

that I did! The two bikes aren't comparable...

There is one thing that hasn't been mentioned and that is LOCK TIGHT

EVERYTHING! The kickstand, kick starter, shift lever, etc. Things like to come

loose, so check them often.