Sign in to follow this  

XR650L stock exhaust

I am quite frustrated at this point. I just recently purchased a 2001 Honda XR650L to do some dual sporting with some friends. After a few hundred dollars in “fixing up” the only thing left is the exhaust. The Yoshimura RS-3 that came on the bike (which I am not convinced even belongs on this bike) is just too loud. So, I purchased some Moose performance packing hoping to get it to quiet down. Well, that worked like crap. While the idle sound is damped, when on the pipe is still not acceptable at all; and the packing slips through the core and comes out the pipe. I bet I looked real stupid going down the street with strands of packing hanging out of my pipe. It looked like my bike had a bad case of worms. Anyway, I think I am just going to go with a stock exhaust. I am not terribly concerned about power at this point. I think the key to having fun with this bike is stealth (not getting caught :censored: ).

So, does anybody out there have a stock pipe for a 2001 XR650L that they are willing to sell cheap? This should be the same from like 92 – 2006 or so.

Thanks

I am quite frustrated at this point. I just recently purchased a 2001 Honda XR650L to do some dual sporting with some friends. After a few hundred dollars in “fixing up” the only thing left is the exhaust. The Yoshimura RS-3 that came on the bike (which I am not convinced even belongs on this bike) is just too loud. So, I purchased some Moose performance packing hoping to get it to quiet down. Well, that worked like crap. While the idle sound is damped, when on the pipe is still not acceptable at all; and the packing slips through the core and comes out the pipe. I bet I looked real stupid going down the street with strands of packing hanging out of my pipe. It looked like my bike had a bad case of worms. Anyway, I think I am just going to go with a stock exhaust. I am not terribly concerned about power at this point. I think the key to having fun with this bike is stealth (not getting caught :censored: ).

So, does anybody out there have a stock pipe for a 2001 XR650L that they are willing to sell cheap? This should be the same from like 92 – 2006 or so.

Thanks

You could go with a stocker from an XR600R also.

Dave

I had the same issue with my DRZ250 01' and went the same route you are. Try ebay as may have already. I found someone to swap with on this site under my bike's forum. Took about a month for a response. We did the swap and now my bike.......

runs quite and stealth

has improved drivability over the slip on

runs just as fast as with the after market exhaust since smooth equals fast.

Good Luck...

That is promising. I hope I am as fortunate with a stock exhaust.

I did find one on eBay. It was a best offer rather than an auction, and like all negotiations, it is the last 10 percent will make or break the deal.

Has anybody used a Supertrapp pipe? These seem to be the least expensive option for a new pipe. These are supposed to be adjustable, removing rings for a nice and quiet sound, adding them for more HP and noise.

I ran a Supertrapp on an earlier XL250S that I had. It was much louder than the stock pipe. It did work good though.

The stock pipe really isn't that bad. However, the stock baffle is horrible. It has a really tiny hole in it. I have a XR600 and I replaced the baffle with an aftermarket unit that I got from Baja Designs. It is still really quiet, but is much better flowing than the stock baffle. The change in power was noticeable.

Sell that Yoshimura on Ebay and I bet you get big $$$ for it.

I had the Supertrapp on my 650L. It's the most primitive, least engineered pipe out there. It's loud for power, and quiet is too restrictive. The newer noise sensitive pipes are tuned using baffles and in some cases packing. They make excellent power and in some cases are quieter than stock.

A good quality aftermarket slip on will run $300.00. Other than that, I'd use the stock pipe.

I had the Supertrapp on my 650L. It's the most primitive, least engineered pipe out there. It's loud for power, and quiet is too restrictive. The newer noise sensitive pipes are tuned using baffles and in some cases packing. They make excellent power and in some cases are quieter than stock.

A good quality aftermarket slip on will run $300.00. Other than that, I'd use the stock pipe.

I agree they are loud although they sound good.I had them on 2 of my 600's which a few years ago that was about it for 4stroke exhausts. I can tell that the WB E series is also loud I need to get the quiet core for it and see if that helps

This is some good info guys.

I am having a hard time justifying an expensive exhaust right now. Let me clarify, my wife hates me spending money on me. But... I did found a couple of stock exhaust pipes on eBay that I am looking into now.

Thanks for all the info!

rossiter78,

Good on ya for being noise conscious! With some re-jettng and a UNI air filter, they run fine with the stock exhaust. The stealth factor is nice to have - and it helps our sport.

Cheers, Dorian

'02 XR650L

im running the FMF Q2 pipe and it seemed to give a little increase in power with a fairly acceptable noise level:thumbsup: . i still have the stock exhaust only had 50miles on it before i changed it. if youre interested shoot me a PM.

Also might want to try a WTB over on Advrider.com flea market Seems like there are a lot more XRL owners over there and you might have a better chance.

I am right there with ya on the sound thing. When I got my 02 it had a WB E, effing loud. SO I went back to the stocker. Lost a little bit of top end. Big effing deal. Bike was nice and quiet and the weight difference could be made up by me not eating so many twinkies.

Good luck. I will keep my eye on ebay for ya.