Sign in to follow this  

Head Noise

Hi guys, I need a little diagnostics help. While idling my '06 610 below 1600rpm I'm hearing a clacking, rattling sound. It sounds like it is coming from the valves but that doesn't make much sense to me. I've checked the valves twice and the oil and they are all within spec. Any ideas about what to check would be appreciated. :censored:

Thanks

It's not the famous nut that wasn't properly tourqued from factory, is it?

are you serious? if so what one?

my bike makes a noise that sounds like what your talking about, but it has since its been brand new.

Mine makes the same noise sometimes. I'm not sure what it is but its been doing it since it was new.

Mike

Mine has been doing it since new also. It just seems like it's getting louder or maybe it's bothering me more now.

It's not the famous nut that wasn't properly tourqued from factory, is it?

Oh yes, the counter balancer nut, I haven't checked it yet, but I probably should.

are you serious? if so what one?

my bike makes a noise that sounds like what your talking about, but it has since its been brand new.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431

Husqvarna TE/SM-610 Index Thread - ADVrider

The counter balancer nut is in the list.

I have the same noise and I have checked the nut in question. The sound also kinda sounds like maybe the timing chain? Im going to let it be for a little bit then get in there and check the cct and the valves.

It could be something as simple as a bit of slack in the cam chain at those rpms. Mine makes a bit of noise also but I put it down to being just a characteristic of that particular engine. Everything else seems to be right and it is still under warranty:applause:

Most likely its the auto decompressor. Turn your idle up a bit, above 1600 rpms.

And wear ear plugs:ride:

I have the same noise and I have checked the nut in question. The sound also kinda sounds like maybe the timing chain? Im going to let it be for a little bit then get in there and check the cct and the valves.

CCT? Cam Chain Tensioner? I don't believe that it is adjustable but I will take a look at it.

Most likely its the auto decompressor. Turn your idle up a bit, above 1600 rpms.

The manual states that the idle should be 1200rpms. I take it that there is no way to adjust the auto decompresser. I am not familiar with it (my first 4 stroke).

1200 RPM idle is way too low. Look at the sticker on the fender under the seat - 1500-1600 rpm idle. I usually set mine between 1600-1700.

I keep the idle on my o6 smr 510 set at about 1900-2000. It makes for lightning quick take offs and dosent seam to eat up the clutch I have put almost 4000 hard street, track, and trail miles on it that way with no problems.

I haven't even looked, but Im pretty sure the CCT is not adjustable. Sometimes they fail or stick open and dont put the proper pressure on the chain. This was a common problem with my street bike (VTR 1000). But Im just going to follow the advice to raise the idle. Ive got it set at 1300 right now and it does good, unlike my 450x which dies comming to a stop. I guess Ill just add a few hundred rpm to both bikes and see what happens.

Ok guys, I'll raise the idle. For some reason I had 1200rpms in my head. Thanks for all the help.:censored:

is there any way to check the idle speed(other than guessing from sound) how many RPM its at without a tach? like with a timing light maybe?

Update: I started hearing some really weird noises the other day. At one point it sounded like my jeans were ripping in the chain. I got it home at started tearing into it. When rotating the rear tire it sounded like my starter my be engaged. I took the left hand side cover off to find metal pieces. I think the metal pieces may have been interfering with the free wheel for the starter and causing the starter motor to spin.

Looking past my flywheel I can see and feel that my timing chain has enough slack in it to move it at least an inch and a half. That seems excessive to me. I can also see that the reed valve (blade valve?) is what has been filed off from the chain. The service manual and the parts catalog have 2 different names for it. I don't even know what it is. I know what a reed valve is on a 2-stroke but not a 4-stroke. The engine still ran when I turned it off but it appears that the timing chain tension adjuster failed or maybe the runners for the chain. I haven't been able to remove the flywheel yet to get a good look at it. I am going to have to buy the special flywheel puller for it.

So I have a few questions, do I need to buy the special puller? has anyone pulled it off a different way? What is a reed valve (blade valve)? Any theories on what went wrong? And finally any tips for fixing it?

Sorry for the long post.

It's the auto decompresser, will do it when first starting, while idling at low speed and when you shut it off, Sounds like the topend has something loose no worries NORMAL. Later George