crf150f....adult suspension

I recently purchased a 2005 honda crf150f mainly to chase the kids around the back yard. I was wondering if there was any cheap suspension mods out there to make the suspension feel more adult friendly and make the bike feel a little bigger. Im around 6-1 and weight around 220. The bike runs great but the suspension feels mushy. It will be used mostly in the back yard and trail riding.

You should buy this from BBR:

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Products.htm

Top tripple clamp(raise the front 1 inch)»230$

Rear shock linkage(raise the back 1 inch)»150$

Fork springs(stiffer and raise the front one inch)»80$

Shock spring(stiffer and raise the back)»90$

A tall seat with hardcore black gripper seat cover from Guts racing»105$

http://gutsracing.com/pages/catalogpages/crfbuyfoam.html

Cheap suspension mods.? Put 1" spacers in the forks and switch to heavier fork oil if the spacers aren't enough. Stiffen the rear with the adjustment collar on the shock. Buy taller 7/8 bars. Thats about as cheap as you can get! That should be all you need to chase the kids around. If not, then start spending $ on springs, valving, triple clamps, etc.

I recently purchased a 2005 honda crf150f mainly to chase the kids around the back yard. I was wondering if there was any cheap suspension mods out there to make the suspension feel more adult friendly and make the bike feel a little bigger. Im around 6-1 and weight around 220. The bike runs great but the suspension feels mushy. It will be used mostly in the back yard and trail riding.

If you don't feel like spending a lot of money, it's still quite possible to spruce up the suspension. Since your forks don't have any adjustment, I suggest that you add Pre-Load spacers on top of the springs. For your 150, 1" O.D washers will work great. Add about an inch or even a little more in each fork, you'll definatly notice an improvment. Also, replace the fork oil with something like a 15wt or 20wt. BBR Fork Springs are a waste of money, very little improvement after doing this mod. From what I've heard, the rebound on the BBR Rear Spring can be dangerous. The spring just totally over powers the shock. For the rear, crank up your preload a little more. Cheap and effective. Give it a try.:applause:

BTW, smr96 I only read your post after I posted mine, lol there basically the same.

id stay away form the bbr rear spring... ask toneconsultant about that one..

hell show u a nice pic of what it did, lol

Ya know. It's always sort of gratifying to know that every once in a while, one of my suggestions is actually taken.

Thanks Heybuddy1901.

exrebel56,

I just can't stress how dangerous the heavier shock spring can be. The front can be fine if you set it up right, but the rear springs are just plan bad. Handling goes out of wack in all aspects. I didn't read any of this. I tested all that stuff. It's not good.

To answer your question, there are a few really cheap ways to fix the front end. $40 to get the stock springs cut with special spacers made for your bike and it's an awesome set up.

You could just put in spacers, but cutting out the progressive part of the spring is key. If you took the spring out and looked at it, you'd say, "Oh, I get what he's talking about."

Check out my weblink in my signature. Go to suspension and that might help you out.

Hey toneconsultant can you put a pickture or a link up for those picture that would be great thanks.

Hey toneconsultant can you put a pickture or a link up for those picture that would be great thanks.

dude u dont want to see them

I just can't stress how dangerous the heavier shock spring can be. The front can be fine if you set it up right, but the rear springs are just plan bad. Handling goes out of wack in all aspects. I didn't read any of this. I tested all that stuff. It's not good.

I'll second that from first hand experience. I can't even sell it in good conscience unless you weigh 270 lbs plus.

Take care Tone!

:bonk:

Steve

I'll second that from first hand experience. I can't even sell it in good conscience unless you weigh 270 lbs plus.

Take care Tone!

:bonk:

Steve

I think the lardass aspect is the only reason why I can ride the BBR spring in the rear. High speed braking went to crap for sure. Do not even touch that rear lever in some bumps.

Does anybody know where I mite find a rear shock spring that's coated other than stock but on a stock bike

That's part of the problem with these aftermarket companies, they sell "heavy duty" springs, but don't list any specs as for spring rate or rider weight range. 

Call up Cannon RaceCraft here in Oklahoma City and talk to Mark Atterberry. They make their springs in-house. Give him your weight and riding style and he can get you set up with the right spring. He also does revalving if you were to send the shock in. 

20180102_123959.jpg.bce741ca48f5f224b06287ef8ca6ff6d.jpg

Edited by Daniel627
Typo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hondagal said:

Does anybody know where I mite find a rear shock spring that's coated other than stock but on a stock bike

I didn't even realize this was a way old thread til after I posted in reference to the original post.

Hondagal, 

What are you meaning? You want a stock spring, but in a different color?

I think a lot of times, spring companies have their springs color coded for different rates. You can always call and ask for a specific color I guess. Cannon makes and powder coats their own springs, so you could always try that route? 

1 hour ago, Daniel627 said:

I didn't even realize this was a way old thread til after I posted in reference to the original post.

Hondagal, 

What are you meaning? You want a stock spring, but in a different color?

I think a lot of times, spring companies have their springs color coded for different rates. You can always call and ask for a specific color I guess. Cannon makes and powder coats their own springs, so you could always try that route? 

Yes that's correct just a different color spring cause nobody makes one for my stock bike just the spring