Sign in to follow this  

Bearing Question:

I have an '04 TE 510 and it's time to replace the front wheel bearings. I have the dust seals off and removed the clip on the disc side. My question is, can the bearings be tapped out, or do they need to be pressed? My service manual has illustrations, but lists no procedure. If anyone has the time to give me the run down on this, I would appreciate it.

I have an '04 TE 510 and it's time to replace the front wheel bearings. I have the dust seals off and removed the clip on the disc side. My question is, can the bearings be tapped out, or do they need to be pressed? My service manual has illustrations, but lists no procedure. If anyone has the time to give me the run down on this, I would appreciate it.

The procedure I use on other bikes is if they don't easily come out, I use a piece of wood, like the handle of a hammer and tap the metal end of the hammer to get the bearings out. My KLX had 3 bearings on the rear and the 2 outer bearings would just pull out but the 3 rd inner bearing on the sprocket side usually had to be tapped out. Using wood or very hard plastic lets you re use the bearing if it's still ok and or keep it as an emergency bearing.

I should add that I havent done the Husky bearings but I assume it's the same method.

Easiest way is to weld a nut or piece of steel to the inner race of the bearing. Come from the other side with a rod and just knock it out . Then just look inside and tap the other bearing out Don't tap on the bearing web that is cast into the hub. Clean the hub and bearing spacer, install new bearing reinstall bearing spacer then other bearing clip then seals put grease on bearing spacer and inside lips of seals. Then go ride. Later George

I use a 12" extension 1/2"square to remove them, and I have a socket thats just the right diameter for the outer race to knock the new ones in,:censored:

A big drift punch and some "brute force and ignorance" usually does the trick for me. Make sure you are pounding on the bearing and NOT the hub lip. When you put the new ones in you can use the old outer bearing race to tap on, works great.

......And don't let the Snap-On guy see you tapping the socket:crazy:

The price of Snap On tools would you really hit them :censored:

I got a Cheap socket set just for abusing doing jobs like this:thumbsup: :ride:

A hammer/ screwdriver for one side, a CRAFTSMAN socket/extention for the other, some light tapping and out they came.

Thanks again for all the help!

A hammer/ screwdriver for one side, a CRAFTSMAN socket/extention for the other, some light tapping and out they came.

Thanks again for all the help!

Wheel bearings,steering bearings and swing arm bearings can be done a similar way :thumbsup:yep definately a rough way to do it but your riding again!:censored: