Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Rear Suspension?

The rear tire of my 2003 xr400 tries to leap over me off of jumps. I have tried to adjust the two screws at the top and bottom of the shock with no help. The ride is nice and smooth but if I have to jump over an obstacle or come out of draw, ravine, etc. it can be a little scary :lol: knowing whats going to happen. :ride: I'm curious to what I can do both in adjusting the rear shock as well as riding technique.:censored: Thanks for the help.

Check your sag measurements and adjust I run about 105mm on my XR and then take it for a ride and adjust the clickers. There are heaps of sites that give instructions, google serach "MX Suspension setup":thumbsup:

You may need new shock oil if it`s real "springy" and the clickers no longer work.

All shocks need to be serviced soon after break-in with quality fluid along with proper bleeding IMO.

That poor thing is probably full of fish oil and foam:cry: :censored:

What you're describing can be caused by not enough rebound damping. Here's a good link full of trouble shooting tips. If the shock has lost some oil, or it is old and scummy, or the nitrogen pressure has leaked out, you will need to have it serviced.

What you're describing can be caused by not enough rebound damping. Try turning in the lower screw a few clicks. Here's a good link full of trouble shooting tips. If the shock has lost some oil, or it is old and scummy, or the nitrogen pressure has leaked out, you will need to have it serviced.

The TT Store sells a DVD that will help you a lot if you want to learn about suspension tuning.