Sign in to follow this  

Bike died while running, won't start.

Hello,

I decided a couple weeks ago to fire up my motorbike in preparation for spring, and it fired up so nicely i decided to take it for a spin. I let it idle for a minute, and then took her outside. I only went about 15 feet though before i got stuck in a snowbank, i revved her up a bit and then it just.... died. No warning, no sputter, it wasn't stalled. I hopped off and pushed it back to the shop. I checked when I got it back and smacked myself pretty good, it was really low on oil. I topped the oil back up and put it away for then. I was kinda worried it might have been running lean and overheated and really screwed something up.

Well, I finally got back to the shop today, and I pulled the spark plug, wasnt lean at all, it was dark dark, definatly was running pig rich. That was comforting, but it still won't run. It sparks hard, (lol, gave me a good shock) I know it has spark, and there was lots of fuel in the tank. I'm guessing its not a carb problem because it fired up so readily, and ran for that time?

What can it be??? and how do I go about fixing it?

Oh, right. The bike is a '99 TTR-250.

Thank you so much.

Kevin

I have a 2001 TTR-250, and when the gas gets old and stale it doesn't run very well, so it might be bad gas. You could also crack open the float bowl drain screw on the carb, and make sure there's gas all the way to the carb. It kind of sounds like a plugged fuel line. Or possibly a plug in your fuel tank cap vent line.

If I haven't run my bike for a while, I lean it all the way over on its side until gas comes out the overflow tubes, then stand it back upright. This seems to kind of fill up all the fuel passages in the carb. It usually starts right up. Assuming I've turned the fuel valve on, which I forget to do about half the time, especially if I haven't ridden for a while.

If you're sure you've got gas to the carb, you could try pulling your air filter, spraying a little starting fluid into the carb, then putting the filter back and cranking. If it runs for a little bit, then stalls out, you know you've got a blocked fuel flow somewhere in the carb. When was the last time the carb was disassembled and cleaned?

the plug gap could be bad too, for 2 bucks its worth replacing the plug, I'd pull the jets and clean them, drain the fuel and plop in some new fuel and toss in some cleaner too thats designed to mix with fuels. if you do this regularly you'll do a lot less carb maintenance :censored:

See if that helps if not come back after spending 10 bux and let us know if anything changed :ride:

Thanks alot guys.

I was kind of panicking assuming the worst, thinking I either melted something or scored the cylinder walls too much. I guess it does make sense to start with the easy stuff first.

It does sound like what happens when you leave the gas shut-off doesnt it. I know the valve was open, but could definatly be a plugged line.

The carb hasn't had any work done in quite a while, at least not the 2 years I've owned the bike. I checked the plug colour once a month and it was always safely rich and the bike ran great so I didn't worry about it.

I'll look into the carb now.

Thanks

Kevin

Well, I definitely found the cause.

I pulled the carb off and tore it down. When I pulled out the needle seat there was a filter on the backside of it. Well, the filter was so completely covered in gunk, and the hole behind it was full of it too. I'm not sure what it was, if it had a metal tank I'd have said rust but....

So I cleaned that, and figured while I had the carb off the bike I'd clean everything else too. I did that fairly quickly, blew out all the passageways with compressed air. Put everything back together and on the bike and....

fuel pours out everywhere. I must have put something back together not quite right or something, so its coming off again today to fix it.

Kevin

Fuel pouring out would indicate a problem with the floats or the needle valve the floats work. Make sure the orings and seats are in good shape and free of debris.

Make sure the floats aren't full of gas too which would indicate a hole in one or both of them.

And I'd still recommend putting a new plug in it. Just because you get a spark doesn't necesarrily mean its a good enough spark to fire the engine. At the very minimum clean it really good with a wire brush.

Ya I picked up a new plug yesterday, I'll pop it in next time I get to work on it.

I'm sure the floats are still good, I must have just installed something wrong. If I can't get it to stop pouring out I'll be back.

Kevin

Well, I finally got back at it, fixed the floats, and gas stopped leaking out.

It still not running, but i will start a new topic rather than keep this meandering one.

Thank you all for your help.

Kevin

I know it sounds fairly obvious, but is the choke off? my ttr125l used to do that same type of thing if i would leave the choke on. I am not sure where the choke knob is on the 250, but since it was on the handlebars on the 125 i thought maybe it was just in a spot you couldnt easily get to it.

The choke knob is on the carb itself, and I have tried it both ways.

Kevin