Sign in to follow this  

auxiliary fuel tank (number plate)

Has anyone ever used a Acerbis fuel tank that mounts where the number plate is located? I want more fuel capacity for occasional trips to the trails. I was going to buy a 2.8gal clarke tank for $190 but found this tank for $68. It can hold 0.8gal. Does the added weight in front of the bike affect handling versus the clarke tank?

Anything mounted high on the bike will have some negative affect. Night vs. day? No. At approx. 72 degrees, a gallon of fuel wieghs approx. 6.25lbs. (heavier when cooler and lighter when hotter). So, figure on approx. 6lbs. including the tank. Many off-road bikes have headlights that weight at least a couple lbs or more, so I'd say it wouldn't be anything that would really get in your way.

I have the IMS 3.2 on my CRF450R and like it a lot. Click my garage for pix...

Id say the bigger tank is the best way to go, although pricey.

You can always just put in what you need instead of filling for your regular/shorter trips.

Another cheap option:

Shop around, but you can get the MSR (camping company, not Moto MSR)

33oz fuel containers for around $11-$13 online.

2 are good for a 1/2 gallon in a pinch and easy to carry.

msr_fuel_bottles.jpg

Id say the bigger tank is the best way to go, although pricey.

You can always just put in what you need instead of filling for your regular/shorter trips.

Another cheap option:

Shop around, but you can get the MSR (camping company, not Moto MSR)

33oz fuel containers for around $11-$13 online.

2 are good for a 1/2 gallon in a pinch and easy to carry.

msr_fuel_bottles.jpg

That's what I do.:censored:

Just don't buy something like that from REI! You'll be funding those that oppose us...

Agreed...!!!

I dont shop there and everytime someone brings it up I tell them to stop shopping there too.

Hit ebay for the fuel bottles.:censored:

Not disagreeing, but this is an honest question because I currently shop at REI at lot becauase they have great gear...

Why do you say REI opposes us?

Not disagreeing, but this is an honest question because I currently shop at REI at lot becauase they have great gear...

Why do you say REI opposes us?

They donate profit money to the Sierra Club, who in my opinion would like

to see every trail closed to 2 wheel traffic, including mountain bikes.

They may pretend to like MTBers here & there, but thumpers are the devil.

Just bought a 3 gallon tank from a dune buggy manufacturer. It is light and will fit under my rear rack behind the plate. $150

Just don't buy something like that from REI! You'll be funding those that oppose us...

Id give money to ANYONE other then REI. Id rather light my money on fire in front of the REI sales people then give them money.

Not only do they support the Sierra Club, they are nothing more then a money grabbing corporation. They preach conserve yet their own corporate offices must be responsible for the clear cutting of my local forest.

seattle_pic.jpg

0805_REI.jpg

Very pretty, but hypocritical to what they preach. To say the place is custom is an understatement.