Sign in to follow this  

crf230

I have had a crf230 for 2 years now and ive really enjoyed it. But now that i am 17 years old and 180 pounds the bike just seems alittle slow and small. Plus the suspension bottoms out every time i hit a small jump or ditch. I am thinking about getting a new bike, but i am afraid that if i buy a faster bike with a competition motor will just be alot of maintenance and money that i dont have. Plus i dont have that much money to buy a new bike, even if i sold my crf i would have about 3 grand. So i wouldnt be able to buy a brand new bike, it would have to be used which just makes me more worried about it breaking down. Do you think i should just keep my crf? Or get a new bike?

By the way i would get some type of 2 stroke because those are alot of fun.

I have had a crf230 for 2 years now and ive really enjoyed it. But now that i am 17 years old and 180 pounds the bike just seems alittle slow and small. Plus the suspension bottoms out every time i hit a small jump or ditch. I am thinking about getting a new bike, but i am afraid that if i buy a faster bike with a competition motor will just be alot of maintenance and money that i dont have. Plus i dont have that much money to buy a new bike, even if i sold my crf i would have about 3 grand. So i wouldnt be able to buy a brand new bike, it would have to be used which just makes me more worried about it breaking down. Do you think i should just keep my crf? Or get a new bike?

By the way i would get some type of 2 stroke because those are alot of fun.

Have you removed the snorkle, baffle, and rejetted to coeshow's recommendation? And/or changed the springs to BBR?

I did remove the baffle and the snorkle. Im pretty sure i did the jetting right to. But redoing all the suspension and everything else just seems like to much money to spend on this bike when i might be able to sell it and get something much better.

I would recommend you a Yamaha YZ125 2 stroke in used condition it's the best 2 sroke in it's class and don't buy a competion 4 stroke in used condition because the risk about having problems with are high. So, If you buy a 2 stroke, buy it used and if you buy a 4 stroke buy it new.

I would recommend you a Yamaha YZ125 2 stroke in used condition it's the best 2 sroke in it's class and don't buy a competion 4 stroke in used condition because the risk about having problems with are high. So, If you buy a 2 stroke, buy it used and if you buy a 4 stroke buy it new.

right on! the yz125 is nasty, that's what i would do in your case.

buy used to help with cost. i myself checked in suspension upgrades, ranging from a total swap out of frontend, like 2, 000 bucks and "up-grade" of the front and rear for about 700.

wieght is an issue, cause the 230 is like 238 pounds, way heavier than most MX bikes. go with your gut, if you think your ready for it, go with a MX

Yeah, a 125 would probably be the way to go. Or keep your 230 and mod it out. I remember how boring the bike was when it was stock, mellow power and soft front forks. I have BRR Fork Springs, I like them. Definately a good upgrade from stock, there pretty cheap too. Try the pre-load mod, add spacers in your forks. Add a pipe, aluminum sprockets, UNI Filter, Rev Box and you'll have a total different bike. Although, if your starting to get more serious with jumping and what not, go with a 125. There dirt cheap. What you put into your 230, you'll never get back.

Yeah, a 125 would probably be the way to go. Or keep your 230 and mod it out. I remember how boring the bike was when it was stock, mellow power and soft front forks. I have BRR Fork Springs, I like them. Definately a good upgrade from stock, there pretty cheap too. Try the pre-load mod, add spacers in your forks. Add a pipe, aluminum sprockets, UNI Filter, Rev Box and you'll have a total different bike. Although, if your starting to get more serious with jumping and what not, go with a 125. There dirt cheap. What you put into your 230, you'll never get back.

yeah man, i put header, some exhaust, snorkel out and jetted the bike. it really woke her up big time! definitly gonna upgrade the stock suspension.

i think the 230 is a good bike to learn on, and a great bike for the old timers who want to just hit the trails.

• Like 1

Yeah ive been thinking about a 125, but all the rideing I do is basicly woods. we will build and find like 10 foot jumps max and go off them. But the usuall type of rideing I do is trails and hillclimbs and such, and i heard 125 are hard to ride in the woods. Ive ridden a 125 before, and i was pretty good. I would deff. get better quickly. And thanks for the help

I totally agree with that last statement, right on the money.

i seen and heard of too many people, including my bro-in-law, nearly kill themselves cause they don't have good control of the power of a 2 stroke.

the first bike i had was an old (1979) RM 250, picked up for 400 bucks, but the dude i bought it from forgot to tell me he had the motor rebuilt and bored out.

bro, the first day on the bike was almost my last!:applause:

How about a used XR 250? They are typically rock solid like the 230 for reliability. And a blast to ride. If you aren't into competition style riding, then an XR might be the way to go.

--Joel

An XR250 isn't much of an upgrade though. If your gonna go with an XR, an XR400 is probably the best route. Definatly a big upgrade in power and suspension.

i am your same age and size. i got the 450x last oct. i didn't get the 250 because i thought i'd outgrow it too quick. you'll like the x :applause: :applause: i was also on the 230 for two years. good bike but i needed more. at my age i didn't have enough money initially, but i saved up enough to pay cash after i sold my 230.

i am your same age and size. i got the 450x last oct. i didn't get the 250 because i thought i'd outgrow it too quick. you'll like the x :applause: :applause: i was also on the 230 for two years. good bike but i needed more. at my age i didn't have enough money initially, but i saved up enough to pay cash after i sold my 230.

i ride a 230 also, when the time comes you think i should set up to 450 and not a 250? since there are less and less trails to ride im gonna hit the tracks more and i know that the 230 will show her lack of "talent" on the field.

Yeah, a brand new 450x would be sweet as hell. But sadly i dont have that kind of money now. So thats why i was thinking like a 250 two stroke. I heard 125s are alot harder to ride in woods because of less torque. Although 125s are cheaper. Ive been looking in a local cycle trader and craigslist.

Yeah, a brand new 450x would be sweet as hell. But sadly i dont have that kind of money now. So thats why i was thinking like a 250 two stroke. I heard 125s are alot harder to ride in woods because of less torque. Although 125s are cheaper. Ive been looking in a local cycle trader and craigslist.

money really wasn't an issue when i bought the 230, cause i was checking out the CR 250 first, but the dealer asked what kind of riding would i doing i said more trail than anything, so he pointed me towards the 230.

and i figured with the price diff (3, 500 for 230, 6, 800 for the CR) and my riding experience, the 230 was the right choice, for now.