Sign in to follow this  

Is the PowerBomb header just hype?

FMF claims that their PowerBomb header acts as a pre-muffler and will help to make the exhaust less loud.

Is this just a marketing ploy to capture poor innocent buyers such as I, or will this header really make enough different to matter?

I'm not not really very innocent, but I am poor.

Thanks for the help!

I have the full fmf with PB. It was on when I got the bike, so not sure how quiet the standard is. I am however concious of noise and can say that at idle / constant revs it is quite acceptable. It barks a bit on full revs, but to me while it is loud, it isn't offensive and sounds beautiful. It also pops nicely on the over run.

It's definately not road legal, but as I don't know the Db rating, I am not sure how far from legal it is.

FMF make's claims, so does every other manufacturer, is it hype ??

That's a good question, in this case all I can say is the P/B header frees up a little power.

But as for quieter, not sure, all I noticed was a change in exhaust note, different but not

quieter by any noticeable amount, a more mellow note, is how I would describe it.

Neil. :censored::ride::lol:

Thanks for the replies.

Neil I was hoping you would answer as I have read most all of your Powerbomb posts as I've searched for info. You still happy with your PB/E pipe combo?

As always I invite further comments/opinions.

You still happy with your PB/E pipe combo?

I remained very happy with that combo right up till I sold my DRZ.

One day, when I can afford 2 bikes, I will have another DRZ, and it will run the same exhaust.

Think about this: FMF recommends repacking their cans once a year. The powerbomb is much smaller, and much closer to the head. How long can the packing in it last?

I guess it's just an expansion chamber. From the few articles I've read on exhaust theory I'd bet it doesn't really add any horsepower. Eddie might know.

(read a few articles by David Vizard...)

Think about this: FMF recommends repacking their cans once a year. The powerbomb is much smaller, and much closer to the head. How long can the packing in it last?

As far as I could find, there is no packing, it is a resonance chamber.

But whatever is in it, mine covered about 17000 miles with no problems.

FMF PowerBomb

Originally Posted by fastgun

You still happy with your PB/E pipe combo?

I run that setup:thumbsup:

My bike came with the PB/Power core IV. the PC4 was too loud for DS rides around here.

I Picked up and "E" can, and it's much mellower.

Lost a little power I think, but I'm happy with it overall:ride:

As far as I could find, there is no packing, it is a resonance chamber.

But whatever is in it, mine covered about 17000 miles with no problems.

FMF PowerBomb

Ok, I had read that article, the part about "More sound absorbing area" and figured they may have had some glass or something in there.

I'll buy one and find out!

Neil, you sold your DRZ?!?

hey dual dog, you say you lost a bit of power when you put the E can on instead of the FMF can. Is this E can you are running uncorked? Or is it still purely stock?

I remember looking at some dynos graphs that Eddie Posted.

I can't remember the numbers off by heart.

Here is a *rough* example:

Stock drz=36hp

Yosh slip on =37hp

full yosh exhaust=39-40hp

I'm not an expert but don't those numbers prove that the stock header is a big bottle neck to power?

The yosh slip on makes more noise but only frees up 1hp. When the bigger header is added power jumps up quite a bit more.

I am assuming if I enlarged my stock exhaust piping all the way to the stock muffler I could see realistic gains 1-2hp and still keep the bike quiet.

Any thoughts on this?

Powerbomb was slightly quieter (using drilled out stock muffler), lowered the tone a bit as well...even my wife noriced it:applause:

Ron W.

hey dual dog, you say you lost a bit of power when you put the E can on instead of the FMF can. Is this E can you are running uncorked? Or is it still purely stock?

Yea it's stock. The hole at the end is about 3/4" compared to 2" on the FMF.

The rides I've been doing require 96db:bonk:

Gotta love Kalifornistan...not!:censored:

I am assuming if I enlarged my stock exhaust piping all the way to the stock muffler I could see realistic gains 1-2hp and still keep the bike quiet.

Its no secret that the S header is too small. Most of us switch to the E header which is slightly bigger. I'm sure you gain 'something' by doing this, but I have no idea actual HP figures for it.

Header diameter has some to do with the power gain but if you're looking at the Yosh Ti Hp numbers, it's the diameter swells that increase along the length of the header/midpipe that makes the big power. Each swell is timed with the exhaust impulse to help scavenge the cylinder and pull the next intake charge in...

Its no secret that the S header is too small. Most of us switch to the E header which is slightly bigger. I'm sure you gain 'something' by doing this, but I have no idea actual HP figures for it.

so from "s" header to power bomb there should be a obviouse throttle response increase.

Based on what I have read (and that has been a lot of material lately) and what most of the persons I consider to be knowledgeable about exhaust systems, the Powerbomb will be an improvement over the S header.

I am going to install mine and hopefull get a little more umphhh and a little less noise in the deal as well.

so from "s" header to power bomb there should be a obviouse throttle response increase.

Yes, there should be a gain... wether or not that gain is significant enough to justify the money... I guess you will find out.

Neil, you sold your DRZ?!?

Yes it went to a new home the end of last November.

The DRZ just wasn't going to cope with the milage this year, so I

bought a 2001 BMW R1150R, there are a few pics posted somewhere on here.

Someday, when I can afford two bikes, I will have another DRZ, as the second bike.

Found one.

pic2.jpg

I have a PB with A ti 4 can and a ss mid pipe on my 05 SM. I rejetted,installed a K&N filter and moded the air box at the same time. the ppe is LOUD if you install there reducers you can tone it down quite a bit but a the expence of some top end ,you can get different sizes but there not cheap and you really want to try them all to see what you like.im going to make my own. as far as power there is a good increase I cant complain.