Sign in to follow this  

How cold is too cold?

How warm should it be befor I break in my new bike or dont it matter? There is a hairscramble a week from this sunday that I would like to do but it looks like it will be too cold to ride for a while. Would it be ok to break in the bike when its cold out? Might be stupid question but I dont want to mess my new bike up.

most motocross bikes are jetted to accomodate the summer or spring weather...b/c its cold out, and the air is dense with O2, ur bike is most likely running lean..that bad part about running lean, especially when u r breaking in ur new bike, is the temp of the engine will be very high and ull damage internal parts in the engine (Piston,seals,cylinder, valves,etc). Also remeber that breaking in a new bike, the temps are high to begin with.

especially when u break it in, u want the piston rings to seat properly, so there isnt any compression leakage, most of the time people would run it soft than hard, then soft, the hard. that way ur running it soft so it won't damge the rings as well as seize the piston into the cylinder walls, but in contrast, ur also runnign it hard so the rings will seat properly....and running a bike with a lean mixture would not allow u to do either...

not sure how cold is too cold, here in NY, its around 20-35 degrees...and i chose not to ride....so i guess really cold would be around this area..

hope this helps

most motocross bikes are jetted to accomodate the summer or spring weather...b/c its cold out, and the air is dense with O2, ur bike is most likely running lean..that bad part about running lean, especially when u r breaking in ur new bike, is the temp of the engine will be very high and ull damage internal parts in the engine (Piston,seals,cylinder, valves,etc). Also remeber that breaking in a new bike, the temps are high to begin with.

especially when u break it in, u want the piston rings to seat properly, so there isnt any compression leakage, most of the time people would run it soft than hard, then soft, the hard. that way ur running it soft so it won't damge the rings as well as seize the piston into the cylinder walls, but in contrast, ur also runnign it hard so the rings will seat properly....and running a bike with a lean mixture would not allow u to do either...

not sure how cold is too cold, here in NY, its around 20-35 degrees...and i chose not to ride....so i guess really cold would be around this area..

hope this helps

well said, don't forget if the bike is brand spanking new, not to go full throttle. honda recommmends riding for 8-10 hrs and then bring the bike in so they can inspect everything

I was thinking of re-jetting it a little richer. I want to race next weekend so Ill have to get it broke in soon.

I was thinking of re-jetting it a little richer. I want to race next weekend so Ill have to get it broke in soon.

re-jett definitly if you have exhaust or intake done otherwise don't bother, you don't want to run too rich, might fowl plug.

as far as racing, how long you been riding bike? if over 8 hrs then bike should be well broken in. gear up and ride.

As of now i havnt rode it at all. Its sapose to get warm this week and weekend and be above frezzing and mabe 50s this weekend from what ive herd. Its a hairscrammble so I think it will be ok to race if I get an hour or two on it befor the race.

if you do race the bike this weekend, take slow. you just don't want to gunn it hard and blow the engine (it CAN happen). but like you said, get a few hours in before hand, make sure the bike is well warmed up before the race, you should be fine. :applause: