Sign in to follow this  

Scratch the itch?

Well,it seems i've got this uncontrolable urge to try a WR125. I've ridden all the Huskies from 250 2t and 4t to the 450-610. My absolute favorite is the WR250,for some reason the 125 has escaped my torturous hands. I've went back and read probably every post on the WR125 and I'm serously thinking this bike with possibly the FBF135 kit may be my next victim. I know Norman and ScottyR realy like theirs. My head tells me get another WR250 but the image of Oblucki roosting on the 125 keeps calling me. I nervous because I haven't ridden a 125 since my 1986 cagiva WMX125 back in the day, that and being 6ft 2in tall and 195lbs I am quite outside the demographics for this bike. So guys please either confirm to me why I should scratch this itch or go with the tried and true WR250 either way it's Husky so it's all good.

Lets hear it!!!:censored:

Jeff

Get the 125 and put in the 135 kit. I am barely any smaller than you and as you know, I love mine.

My buddy is a 40+ "A" rider and he absolutely loves his 125 as well. So much he is thinking about going back to the "AA" class up here.

Do it! I'll probably do a 135 kit on my '02 or if I get an '06 or '07. I didn't do it for years for all the typical reasons, now after a year, I wish I'd done it a long time ago!:censored:

Norman

Get the 125 and put in the 135 kit. I am barely any smaller than you and as you know, I love mine.

My buddy is a 40+ "A" rider and he absolutely loves his 125 as well. So much he is thinking about going back to the "AA" class up here.

I am a 40+ 6'1" 180 lbs former A/AA racer, and I agree. So do some 200+ lbs C riders that have ridden my 125.

All right!!!

I knew I could count on you guys!!! O.K. the descision has been made now down to some questions.

ScottyR, what can I expect from the stock '07 WR125 power wise? (I know it's a 125) also do you feel it was worth the $$$ for the increase you got with the 135 kit? Or should I try the typical pipe jet power-now stuff and leave it a 125?

Norman, how long did or does it take you to readjust to the 125 after getting off your 250?

tm enduro, I am a life long (I'm 40) B racer and have gotten a little lazy lately riding the larger bikes however most of my riding buddies say that when in race mode I turn evil!! I notice many "seasoned" riders are riding 125s or 200s is it the weight thing or something else I wonder?

I have to tell you guys I haven't been this pumped about a 125 since I was a teenager!!!! WHOOHOO!! I can't wait!!

Jeff:applause:

All right!!!

I knew I could count on you guys!!! O.K. the descision has been made now down to some questions.

ScottyR, what can I expect from the stock '07 WR125 power wise? (I know it's a 125) also do you feel it was worth the $$$ for the increase you got with the 135 kit? Or should I try the typical pipe jet power-now stuff and leave it a 125?

Norman, how long did or does it take you to readjust to the 125 after getting off your 250?

tm enduro, I am a life long (I'm 40) B racer and have gotten a little lazy lately riding the larger bikes however most of my riding buddies say that when in race mode I turn evil!! I notice many "seasoned" riders are riding 125s or 200s is it the weight thing or something else I wonder?

I have to tell you guys I haven't been this pumped about a 125 since I was a teenager!!!! WHOOHOO!! I can't wait!!

Jeff:applause:

The benefit for us aging riders on a smaller bike is that we are less fit (we probably spend more time doing less physical jobs, and the softer power of a 125 less us push it longer.

There are many ways to make power, or different kinds of power. The powernow product aids bottom end and mid range. Pipes usually just move the torque and hp peaks around. The big bore kits clearly add hp the the easy way, but often compromise reliability. Port timing changes and squish band changes can often be the best power increases. My experience with bikes and snowmobiles is that the best choice has been to play with head mods (usually raising compression) and run race gas (actually I prefer AV gas). IMO, the factory has done the best job that they can for giving us hp and reliability, but then they step it down a notch or two to allow the owner to have slightly off jetting or have poor fuel, hence they lower compression.

My advise, modify the head, put on a set of 50mm zokes, revalve the rear shock and leave the rest stock (maybe add th powernow), and go kick some butt.

There were CR 125s at Tasky's Husky Demo Days last Sunday, but I rode an 06 WR 250. What a blast! I'm 6'3", 265 lbs, 51 years old amature racer and it was a sheer pleasure to ride. Front wheel lifted without tugging in 1-4th gear with no effort. Its definetely on my too buy list this next year. Too much fun, though a lot of power for tight, Washington trails like they had there. Tight to me that is, wide to the local guys:ride: . Steny

I went cold turkey..... I tore my ACL in my right knee and then broke my right patella while I was rehabing from ACL re-construction surgery. I had to have surgery to fix that. I started riding the WR125 that late Spring because it was light and easy to kick. I never looked back and have only ridden my '00WR250 around the yard, the '82 a little in the woods and the 610 on the street.

Norman

There's something truely magical about the way 2001 & later Husky 125's handle. They just make me smile every time. How I do miss mine................

We have 2 Husqvarna's in the family. My son has an '04 CR125 and I have an '06 WR/CR250. I really love the power and handling characteristics of the 250 and the motor is truly outstanding. However, you can definately tell that the 125 is much lighter and not nearly as powerful. Not that the 250 feels heavy when I am riding it, it's just that the 125 is truly a light bike (<200lbs). The 125 is bone stock and has been bullet proof thus far. I weigh about 175 lbs and for me, I would want more power than the stock 125 puts out.

We race a number of scrambles/GPs and such in Ore. and Washington and I have found that the WR/CR250 has no problem competing with the big 4 strokes. In fact, I feel I normally have an advantage over them in combined power, weight, handling, trackability and overall endurance. The bike clearly has surprized a lot of people at the track because a lot of folks don't feel that the bike would be competitive. The WR250 is a real sleeper. With that being said, I must add that the forks take quite a while to break-in. I experienced harshness which I could not tune out for about 3 or 4 months. And we did a lot of riding during the summer at tracks such as Mt View Or. with a lot of good sized jumps but it still took time. Now the forks feel completely different and I am very pleased with them. I have seen numerous complaints on fork harshness and this is unfortunate because most guys don't want to wait that long for forks to break-in and you really can't blame them. Other than that the WR has been a great bike. I have had 2 of them and they have proven to be extremely reliable and durable.

I have two of the 125 beasts a '02 WR 125 and a '04 CR 125 w/135 kit. There is no other bike I have ridden that can make you feel like a hero and laugh at the technical stuff. If I had the talent/strength I would have no fear of running either of these bikes in the last man standing race. I also have a '06 TC 250 now and it is a very nice bike but if it is technical single track (hills too) I take the 125. My '04 135 has had a jetting problem that I have never got to run as good as the '02. One of these days I am going to put the 135 kit on the '02 WR. If I were you I would ride it first and see what you think of the power. It only takes a day of riding before you forget the 250 power. The sweet thing about the 125 is the handling especially in the turns, the sound they make is icing on the cake. I may be faster on a 250 but I ride for fun and that is what the 125 is all about. One place I ride is basically on the side of a mountain so you are always riding off camber, up or down on goat trails. Lots of rocks and logs mostly second gear stuff, the 125 works so well on this even the uphills.