START OR JOIN RIDING CLUB? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Highest octane pump gas? Good/bad brands? Race gas by the gallon? Octane booster?

I'm originally from Massachusetts where we could get 93 octane from EVERY gas station, and Ultra 94 at Sunoco. Between the two I never had any detonation problems in any vehicle I've ever owned (well, except for a modified SVT Lightning running 12 lbs of boost, but thats a different story).

Anyway, now that I'm a SoCal resident and riding MX again on a pretty regular basis, I was hoping you guys could get me up to speed on west coast gas. The highest octane I can recall seeing while filling up my truck over the past few years is 91 octane.

Have you guys found anything better than 91 at a pump? If so, where was it / what brand? If not, are there specific brands of 91 octane that I should purposely look for OR avoid?? Finally, is there anywhere you know of that will sell race gas by the gallon (i.e., one or two, not a 5-gallong jug)?

I live in San Diego, but normally ride at either Lake Elsinore or Amago.

Thanks for the help.

-Garrett

91 octane is the highest premium gas there is at the pump although a local 76 station (in Norco) sells 105 octane race fuel but those stations are usually few and far between. 91 is what I run in my bike. I think there are quite a few dealers that sale race fuel. I think there is a place right by the Elsinore tracks that sells it but I forget the name of them. I think it is Grant Langston's place but I am not sure.

Yea...welcome to Kalifornia. 91 is the highest you will find at *most* pumps. There are a few 76 stations that sell race fuel but few and far between. Just about any shop will be selling 5gal cans of race fuel as well. I think in a few more years you will see 92/93 disappear nation wide as the new EPA laws go in to effect and the rest of the country has to start using the same gas standards that we have here. I think it is 08 or 09 those go in to effect.

I run Shell 91 in both of my Huskys and never had issues. I think as long as you use a major oil company brand you will be okay. Although after the last service on my Dodge truck I did stop using Chevron. I got a call a few hours after dropping it off and the guy asked me if I used Chevron and I said yes, pretty much the only gas I use since it was the closest to my house. He said he could tell because lots of carbon build up and Chevron is known to do that. I am no gas/oil expert but I stopped using it and have only been using Shell so we will see how clean/dirty the engine is at the next major service. And avoid CostCo gas.

Grant langstons place would be langston racing, but i don't think they sell race gas by the gallon. I think there is a place in elsinore somewhere that sells vp in a pump, I just forgot where it was..We should ride elsinore together sometime, what are you running that you need race gas? If the motor is pretty stock it should run fine on 91.

Dont get gas that has ethanol, or alcohol, if it is a newer bike, bad for the new kind metal in the heads and cylinders.:censored:

Hey Kevin3769 -- I try to ride once each weekend, and normally go to Elsinore (or Amago when my buddy decides to ride). Like I said, feel free to stop by and say hi if you ever see #65 (white CRF450R with snow cammo graphics). Considering I'm not a morning person and its a ~60 mile drive from PB, I'm normally not there until the mid afternoon. What bike / number are you?? Later...

I run trick blue leaded 114 octane mixed 50/50 with pump 91. Trick also has turbo 119 and super unleaded 100. Cost is from $5 to $8 for a gallon.