Sign in to follow this  

vacation thoughts

hey, i'm trying to plan a vacation with the wife and kids to do a little riding, and the only place i can seem to come up with is hatfeild-mccoy. I would really like to find something a little closer to home if possible as this will be our first trip like this and have only riden at our local park. any ideas?

I would suggest Mark Twain in Missiouri.South western side of state has 130 miles or so of trails.It's closer than H&M.

Walter's Ranch is close to Warsaw, MO. I'd guess about an hour SE out of KC. Truman lake is close to Walter's Ranch, if you are into water sports. Mark Twain, is also called Chadwick, you could some of the Branson things while on vacation.

Another vacation thought, Colorado. It's great to get there in August when it's 90+ at home and a high of 70s (usually) in the Pitkin or Taylor Park area of CO.

I hope this helps.

I'd try St. Joe State Park in Park Hills, MO. Nice camping, even a small lake/pond for swimming. The campgrounds are very nice there. There is a large sandy area thats flat for beginner riders and a lot of trails up in the woods. I would think it would be a good place for the family.

I've been to the Heartland Lodge that Nick250 mentioned. Its more of a hunting, horseback riding place but they do have a decent trail system. The accomodations are really nice. We were there for a family reunion and brought the bikes but had the whole place to ourselves. You'd get bored quick riding there.

I'd try St. Joe State Park in Park Hills, MO. Nice camping, even a small lake/pond for swimming. The campgrounds are very nice there. There is a large sandy area thats flat for beginner riders and a lot of trails up in the woods. I would think it would be a good place for the family.

I've been to the Heartland Lodge that Nick250 mentioned. Its more of a hunting, horseback riding place but they do have a decent trail system. The accomodations are really nice. We were there for a family reunion and brought the bikes but had the whole place to ourselves. You'd get bored quick riding there.

The Heartland Lodge allows bikes? Their website said quads, but I wasn't for sure.

I've never been to St. Joes. How many miles of trails do they have? And are there any hotels close by? Thanks.

Thanks for the info on Heartland... If you can, give a little ride report...::applause: . I figured more of a family riding place with extras than a OHV park.... So if the riding runs out, at least you have some other things to keep everyone busy...

Good to know in the future....They said bikes were fine.. I thought most trials would be shared by all ..Must of been nice to ride the whole place without being to crowded...

Nick

Mark Twain, is also called Chadwick, you could some of the Branson things while on vacation.
Spokes, how far away from Chadwick is the "Branson" thing? My son and I ride, but my wife doesn't. This may be a good angle for me. Thanks.

i talked to a friend of mine that lives just down the road (bfe) from heartland and like coleman said it's more of a hunting lodge but said that there are some trails. The hotel situation might be a prob not sure if they would let you ride if you didn't stay there but not sure the closest towns of size would be jerseyville il. and hanibal mo. The place we ride at here in Ft Madison Ia. is usually empty for the most part and is around 400 acers most of the trails have four wheeler ruts but that really doesn't seem to bother me and the kids much, but then again we don't know any better lol.

I think we have ridden on that 400 acres you mention......:applause: Down the long road through the locked gate>>?? It was hot as:foul: last summer... .So we only rode and hour or 2 at the most... We would like to go back and check it out.. They were nice enought to let us pay and check it out without getting a membership at the time... We are about 3hrs west..

Nick

I think you could still ride Heartland Lodge without staying there. There's really no place close to stay though. They also have a 25 mile speed limit which is fine in the woods but there are some open fields. We may have gone a little over 25. The trails were quad trails. Aren't there any rocks in IL?

If you went to St. Joe park you could stay in town at Rosener's hotel which is about 5 miles away. St. Joe has about 2000 acres set aside for riding. You could find anything you wanted as far as riding. Here's the State Park website http://www.mostateparks.com/stjoe.htm

St. Joe is basically about an hour or less from St. Louis so you could check that out if you weren't riding. Chadwick is tougher riding, especially for little guys and branson is a little over .5 hour I think. Chadwicks alot further than St. Joe from Iowa too.

Now if you were going to do a little boating and biking, I'd go to Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky.

The Taylor Park and Pitkin suggestions from Colorado are for the ultimate dirt bike getaway. The best of the best imo. Thats a major haul to get there though.

Bob

as far as i know you don't have to be a member to ride but you do have to be with one to get in and ride, we've had some problems with some asses tearing stuff up. We go there all the time, if you come this way send me a message and i'll get a couple of the guys together and play! last i knew it was a $10 pass for the day

We go to Branson every spring. I bring the bikes and go riding while the family does the Branson thing. We have reservations for the end of Mar/beginning of April. We stay in a nice three bedroom condo and the in-laws come along too. Rates are reasonable because it is considered off season. It is a very nice vacation.

Chadwick is an experience. The area is very four wheeler friendly. I've met other northerners doing the Chadwick/Branson thing who were staying in the same condo complex. There is better riding right by Branson and Hollister but that riding is borderline legal. That is, not official trails but nobody compains and the property owners don't mind. Most say it is O.K. but would rather not give official permission. That could incur a liability.

It is definately worth one trip to check things out.

PeterJ

If you stay in Ozark, MO, chadwick is about 20 minutes away and Branson is about 15-20 minutes away. If you stay in Branson, Chadwick is about 45-60 minutes from there.

i went to st.joe when i first started riding, it was the best place ive been so far, sand flats, lakes (you can circle some), rocky trails, sandy trails, some good hills from what i remember, b-e-a-utiful campgrounds (nicest ive ever seen anyways). They have showers too, a playground. I believe you can mountain bike there as well (i think). Pretty close to farmington, MO.

:applause: :applause: :lol: nice place!

If you stay in Ozark, MO, chadwick is about 20 minutes away and Branson is about 15-20 minutes away. If you stay in Branson, Chadwick is about 45-60 minutes from there.

We haven't rode the bikes to Chadwick yet. We have always trailered them because it was cold and rainy when we went or I had the CR along. I think we could make pretty good time up route H (if memory serves me right) on the DRZ's and it would be a hoot.

What attractions are there in Ozark besides Lambert's? We missed eating there the last two years and the clan is insisting that it be on the "must do" list.

There are alot of good car washes there. All of them are full of Chadwick mud!

PeterJ

You could go to finger lakes State park outside of Columbia, MO their is quite a bit of things to do their. The trails are rutted in places but very fun. They also have a motocross track. You can campout, Swim and fish also.

Thanks, Scott! That gives me something to work with.