Sign in to follow this  

Me vs. DMV dualsporting a XR600

Hey, I just bought a 1993 XR600 and want to license it and put a dualsport kit on it. I have researched this site as well as many others trying to get around an issue with DMV. Here is the deal. I bought the bike here in Oregon from a guy who lives in Oregon and he gave me the title from the previous owner (he never transferred the title). The title is from Washington and has been branded with off road use only. Since the bike has never been titled in Oregon and I have bill of sale from the previous owner, I can file for a lost title here in Oregon. I already had the DMV look up the VIN # and nothing comes up, so I think I may have a shot at an Oregon title, but I don't know if they will brand it as off road only or not. They wont see the Washington title, so maybe it will get through, then I can ask for a license plate later which is what I did with my previous bike a KDX200, and they just looked up the VIN, saw that it was titled in my name and gave my a plate. Here is the other option. I still have the plate and registration from the KDX which I just sold. The new owner will not be registering it, so I think I could put the KDX license on the XR. If I get stopped by 5-O, I would assume they would run the plate and it would come back registered to me. But, will it come up as a Kawasaki 200 (that is what it says on the registration). If so, my XR has no Honda or 600 stickers on it, so the only way to identify it as a Honda XR600 would be by the VIN# or by looking at the steering stem with the stamp on it. Any ideas on what direction to go, or anyone else been in a similar situation. I dont want to go the whole inspection route because I am just going to be riding on forest service roads and back roads (no highway use at all). I also want to use my existing front and rear lights and fenders and just add blinkers mirrors, horn, etc. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long thread.

Thanks

I had my 97 xr600 plated last summer- easy, but Im in Indiana so my advice might not work. 1st thing to do is to do is get a body change affidavit form from DMV. Your changing from AT- off road vehicle to MC- motorcycle. fill out form takes 3 minutes. The change reqiures police inspection(read here- a signiture). Call sheriffs Dept tell them what you need 15 minutes later a deputy is in driveway signing your form. Take signed form back to DMV along with original offroad title and bang, a real legal licence plate. Remember their going to ask about insuance so.. That quick street legal. On a side note the only thing mine has is a mirror, no signals, stock lights etc. This process is the same for any offroad bike, so just tell them there is no tittle and you are converting it. Good luck.

Yes, if you get pulled over, it will come back as a KDX. When this happens, pray you have a very very stupid cop who wont know youre on a Honda (Are you going to paint the 600 green?) and hope for the best. Or, just do the smart thing, go through all the inspections and be legal and unworried.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Each state is different so you never know whats gonna happen. I happen to live in one of those states where plating a dirtbike is diffucult. I can take a Volkswagen, cut it in half and weld on a harley front end and get a plate for the god awful thing but for some reason they frown on dirtbikes

One of my friends went and bought a Gas Gas FSE450 with an Illinois title. When he went to plate it, he went through the whole process and even had plates in his hand, then right at the end the lady showed him a screen on the computer that said "Gas Gas, all models not roadworthy" so, no plate.

I really do not understand where they are coming from by not allowing these conversions. It is actually a small percentage of people doing this, and they are getting money for title and registration that they wouldn't be getting otherwise.

Another thing is that you need a plate to ride alot of the trails around here so it would be nice to plate a dirtbike. These goofy state rules will really help companies like Husky and KTM and whoever else steps up to the plate with factory 50 state legal dirtbikes...but damnit, I want to plate an XR400 or 650R. The goofy thing is, some people buy bikes with titles and have no problems getting the thing resitered and some have no luck. I'd hate to buy a bike and find out I couldn't get it plated, that would make it virtually worthless to me and I'd have to do something like break the law or try to title it in a different state.

I just talked to a buddy who is a county sheriff and he suggested not putting the KDX plate on. I dont want to get my bike impounded or pay a hefty ticket. I think that if I apply for a lost title, I can get one through Oregon. Once I have the title in my name with no brands, then I can simply apply for a plate and registration. This is what I did with my KDX with no problems, although I already had a Oregon title. You are right about them making thinks so difficult. They are getting their money, and these bikes are not a source of any problems. I think they are getting more strict due to all of the mini bikes and motorized scooters out there. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here in Nevada, using another vehicles plate is a felony. a cop told me it would be better to go unregistered than with a "fictitous" plate.

Here in Nevada, using another vehicles plate is a felony. a cop told me it would be better to go unregistered than with a "fictitous" plate.

This is true in most states. It's fraud to put a differnet plate on.

Yeah, I probably shouldnt have even considered putting the KDX plate on the XR. I guess I will try to go with the lost title route, or do a change from off road vehicle to motorcycle if Oregon does this? I hope I am able to get a plate for this bike, it is the whole reason I bought it and it is in perfect condition. Any other ideas out there? I am going in to DMV tommorrow to try for the lost title. Thanks

DO NOT PUT THE WRONG PLATE ON A BIKE. As a California Highway Patrol Officer, if I run accross a vehicle with the plates switched, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is stolen. If you do something silly like that you're giving the rest of the law abiding riders a bad name. Its not worth the hassle after you pay the fines. Besides you'll lose the plate too.

DO NOT PUT THE WRONG PLATE ON A BIKE. As a California Highway Patrol Officer, if I run accross a vehicle with the plates switched, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is stolen. If you do something silly like that you're giving the rest of the law abiding riders a bad name. Its not worth the hassle after you pay the fines. Besides you'll lose the plate too.

Tymbom...

As a CA CHP Officer, what would be your position if someone brought a bike in for inspection that said it met CA Offroad MC Emissions Requirements (the sticker on the front downtube)?

Reason I ask is that I would like to get my 06 Yam WR450 plated (currently has a green sticker), and from what I have read it needs to be taken to the CHP for VIN verification--which entails signing off on the emissions as well. Obviously, I'll add the necessary DOT equipment to make it legal for street use if I can get over the emissions hurdle.

Thanks..

Sorry..not trying to hijack the thread here:ride:

Go to a local CHP Office. Ask for a VIN verification Officer. That Officer will check out your VIN, if everything is okay, it will work. The VIN Officer will have special training so they will know what to look for. Good Luck, I'm looking to buy a Dual-Sport within a week. All ther dealers I've talked to say its a no-go. Can't convert anything. Looks like KTM or Honda for me.

Go to a local CHP Office. Ask for a VIN verification Officer. That Officer will check out your VIN, if everything is okay, it will work. The VIN Officer will have special training so they will know what to look for. Good Luck, I'm looking to buy a Dual-Sport within a week. All ther dealers I've talked to say its a no-go. Can't convert anything. Looks like KTM or Honda for me.

HUSKY:thumbsup:

I talked to someone at the state capital who told me that there is a difference in "on highway use" and off road bikes. She told me that if I am not riding on any highways,streets, etc., that all that I need is my off road sticker. I will only be riding the bike on logging and forest service gravel roads (maybe crossing a paved forest service road to get to another trail or gravel road). Anyone have experience with forest rangers stopping them on these type of roads? I think I am going to put some dualsport equipment on like signals and mirrors and put my off road sticker on the back fender so it is in plain sight and see what happens. Any thought?

In california you will get stopped and ticketed on any non greensticker road.

Call the ranger station or park service and see if its ok to ride off road in the area you are talking about. As far as crossing a highway, you may cross a two lane highway according to 38025 CA vehicle code, at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the roadway and at a place where a quick and safe crossing may be made. On a multilane highway only at points designated by the Department of Transportation or local authorities. this CVC has a lot more to it concerning not riding on the highway but pushing it is ok and a lot of other stuff. Hope this helps a little.:applause:

I'm in Oregon also and just plated my bike. Run a search and you'll find my posts. A couple things:

- don't switch plates. It's illegal and not worth it.

- when you apply for the title at the DMV go in with a "certificate of compliancy". You can get this off the state's website. This is your certification the bike is street legal.

- at that point they will give you a plate.

- a month later a letter will show up with a form that needs to be signed by either the manufacturer or distributor that certifies the bike is either epa compliant or can be made compliant. Since mine is an 07 and green stickered the dealer had no problem signing it and sending it back to the state. Do some homework first to find out if your bike can be made epa compliant (it doesn't have to be compliant JUST able to be made compliant) and if someone will sign this for you.

Good luck. You can plate the bike in Oregon but have to go through the proper steps.

Greg

Humunn,

Do you think this would work with a used bike (1993 XR600)? What dealer did you use? It would be great if I could get a dealer to sign off.

When I plated my '99 Yamaha 1 1/2 years ago I had a MSO with "for offroad use only" on it. I plated it in Oregon. The DMV said we'll give you a plate but if your not in compliance and get pulled over it's your problem. NO problem! Plate received the same day. 2 weeks later a get a letter stating they are recending my plate because it is off road only. There was a phone number on the letter. I called and spoke to a very nice lady. I informed her that the bike had been converted for street use. She asked for a letter stating the bike was in compliance with Oregon regs. I sent it to her and confirmed the receipt of that letter 4 days later. She said she had it and would issue the title. Had the title 2 weeks later.

Humunn,

Do you think this would work with a used bike (1993 XR600)? What dealer did you use? It would be great if I could get a dealer to sign off.

I bought my 07 WR450 from Action in Fairview. Been going to those guys for years. They are great. But the challenge you will have is getting someone to sign off that the bike CAN BE made epa compliant, since it is not factory compliant (green stickered). Honestly I do not know how you would do it either. You might check Action or other dealer/mechanics and find out what it would take. Basically you're talking about 2 issues (I believe) noise and emissions. Noise is easy, but emissions? With regs tightening I would suggest just buying a used bike that is already plated or a newer green stickered epa compliant bike. In the long run you will probably save yourself a lot of headache and money.

Greg

I don't see the problem with getting an Oregon title if you have the signed Washington title. It should not be a big deal that the person you bought the bike from never changed things over. Can't Oregon DVM just play it as you bought the bike from the last legal owner? It would not be a major problem in California. The problem we have here in California is we can't make an offroad bike street legal anymore. :lol:

Once you get the Oregon title, can't you then add street components and get a plate? That was how it was in California.....

Let us know how it turns out. :applause: