Sign in to follow this  

Shoulder Pads

Went over the bars & seprated my shoulder about three weeks ago. Any one have any suggestions whats the best shoulder pads or other device that might offer some protection.

Good link! Hockey chest protectors are what was used in the day. I used a Jofa when I separated my shoulder about three years ago and it became a part of my normal gear. Does not get in the way at all.

I did a bunch of research on Hockey pads recently and the CCM shoulder pads were the lowest profile that I found. They look like they are the only ones that would work well under an MX jersey.

I was wearing a chest protector with shoulder pads when I went over the bars and seperated my shoulder(don't wish that on anyone). I think its all in the way you land on it. Gotta learn to tuck and roll :censored:

I think the shoulder pads found on most chest protectors are a far cry from the ones found on hockey shoulder pads.

Being from San Diego, we don't see a lot of Hockey equip. down here. It's a far cry in which direction?

From what I've read on the above posted thread, the hockey pads have much superior collar bone and shoulder protection.

I recently bought some Jofa SP9800 hockey shoulder pads for riding. They look bulky but they have the greatest freedom of mobility of all the hockey pads that I have tried on. There is a good review here http://www1.epinions.com/content_138837659268

In the last year, I have had 2 painfull shoulder injuries wearing a Thor Force chest protector. I am hoping these pads will keep me from having any more.

I was wearing a chest protector with shoulder pads when I went over the bars and seperated my shoulder(don't wish that on anyone). I think its all in the way you land on it. Gotta learn to tuck and roll :censored:

I was wearing a chest protector and neck roll and I did a high-side. My shoulder is still gimpy. You see guys today wearing nothing but a jersey and some minimal under jersey roost protection and it makes you wonder. Like easyian said, it's the way you roll and the luck of the draw. Shit, I'd wear one of the padded suits you see em training attack dogs in. I look at all sorts of options: hocky pad / chest protector combo, neck roll, full torso suits with elbows and forearm guards; but mobility is key for me. I usually think of gettin all this stuff right after a get-off. As I heal I think less about it.

Cyanide there are tons of hockey stores in SoCal. My son got started playing here in OC and ended up playing Jrs in Canada. The scouts call SoCal a sleeping giant. That being said there are quite a few diiferent model of pads to choose from from each manufacturer. Jofa tend to be the least obtrusive, with the most protection. There are a number that resemble football pads and most "players" don't wear them. I use JDP6500's they are about 9 years old. The only thing to worry about is the larger shoulder cap of some which can get in the way of your helmet. Added bonus is the chest protection is designed to stop pucks. Maybe we can get Camp to do a seat of the pants dyno run on CCM vs. All other manufacturers. Go to a PLay it again Sports and there are tons of used gear for hockey. Escondido rink should have one near also La Jolla ..... . Many areas where rinks are should have them.

The Thor ScatterShield had the best shoulder protection of all of them, but then they discontinued it. Picked up an AfterShock, but I really do miss the extra protection of the ScatterShield. I'll have to invsetigate the hockey pad option.

Went over the bars & seprated my shoulder about three weeks ago. Any one have any suggestions whats the best shoulder pads or other device that might offer some protection.

Depends on your riding style but this is the one I got:

http://www.skeletools.com/torso.html

Best thing I could find for the technical riding that I do. It is soft with a layer of firm plastic embedded in the soft foam. Protects everywhere so far including the lower rib section that the hockey pads didn't.

The individual pads can be removed.

Coffee, the point you make is a good one about the lower area. For an injured shoulder those pads won't protect at all. If you look at any contact sport type pad the shoulder cup will disperse over a broad area vs directly on the top of the shoulder. A number of the hockey pads are too bulkey and would inhibit mobility for moto use. Football pads are way too bulkey, but if you look at the shoulder cup it is broad and will distribute impact. My pads I use are for forwards which are a little more minimal. Fairly good shoulder cap and the breast/sternum protection is very minimal but protects against roost very well. The design of the rib protector is hard cell evs, I think, and wraps around your ribs and velcros. I separated my shoulder at Elsinore with a Fox Chest protector on. The caps on those are useless in my opinion. The dirt there is just like falling on cement or ice. I do have to say that those Skele Pads are better than most out there. I almost bought some quite a while back but wanted to try them on first as they are kind of expensive. You can pick up hockey pads for around 40-60 dollars new.

I fell most of the protective gear will be changing because of all the injuries to many top pros and all the spinal injuries. This subject is being debated on Mototalk since the Bailey video.