Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 Water pump impellar

Does anyone know about the 06 450 having a hole in the water pump impellar? I have an 05 and was wondering if i should do this to mine,Thanks

Not shure,Maybee has to do with pressure in the system, or the problem with the seal always going bad.You know ,when they drip out the weep hole.

yea the impeller on the bikes before '06 created more of a vacuum that put more stress on the water pump seal. the new impeller allows pressure to equalize a little bit more.

Should be on the flat part, in between the fins. I wouldn't drill my own hole in an old one because Honda probably had done a bunch of tests on where the best spot would be to put the hole. I just ordered a new impeller from ServiceHonda.com along with some new seals and a new shaft (because mine was grooved) and mine hasn't leaked since! I also threw in some Engine Ice to replace the regular old green coolant.

where and what size should the hole be?On the flat part,or in a fin.

1/8 inch hole and if i remember correctly its 3/8 of an inch from the outside edge of the imp. between 2 fins ( Obviously ) there is a pic of it floating around somewhere ill look and see if i can find it .. scott

ok heres a link .. http://ffracing.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=faded&action=display&thread=1159227157

Thanks for all of your responses.I Plan to drill mine myself. Seal does not always leak, only on intial starting of bike. New seal and shaft has no wear on it. Leaks for 3 seconds then stops.