Sign in to follow this  

Protective gear for DS riding

I'm a new dual sport rider and I wondering what people are using for torso protection for dual sport rides. It sounds like some use chest protectors and others use pressure suits. What is the advantage of going with one over the other? I'm guessing that it's a bit of a pain to put a hydration pack or jacket over a regular chest protector.

What's the better way to go (chest protector or pressure suit)? Maybe both are a good thing to have in the arsenal ?

Hook a newb up with some 411 :censored:

hay im a newb too (only 2years) and i wear a full chest and a waterback every time i go, at first it pinched but if yours has the chest and waist straps like mine does a few adujestments and your ready to go agian i also wear knee braces and elbow pads

I've worn a chest protector with a backpack over it for years. Guys I ride with use the pressure suits. I like the pressure suits because the forearm-elbow pads are connected to the suit and dont move around during a fall.

I've worn a chest protector with a backpack over it for years. Guys I ride with use the pressure suits. I like the pressure suits because the forearm-elbow pads are connected to the suit and dont move around during a fall.

Are the pressure suits really warm to ride in? I'm guessing that you wear them over the top of your jersey or shirt right?

Do most guys go with the short sleeve version?

I have not seen a pressure suit I like yet that won't cook me in the summer. And for some reason the new chest protecters (that I have seen) have less pretection then they did several years ago.

Just got a RockGardn Flak Jacket; looking forward to trying it out . . . no, wait; I'm NOT looking forward to trying it out! :censored::ride::lol:

Like the construction and fit; hope I don't NEED it, but--hope it comes through, if I do.

I use a pressure suit, I think its a little more comfy. As long as your moving the wind blows right through and its not too hot but when you stop its like an oven.:censored:

I use a pressure suit, I think its a little more comfy. As long as your moving the wind blows right through and its not too hot but when you stop its like an oven.:censored:

shit i wore my buddies once and i fried wind or not i couldnt stand it

Sharpie, No Breaks, whaich brands have you worn or bought? I like the idea but always thought they were too confining, warm, etc. But I've also paid the price with my forarm road rash when the pads slide up during a slide on a fireroad.

Ive got the SixSixOne, most of it is made with a net mesh and as soon as you sweat a little it actually keeps you cool with only a jersey over the top, like I said before, as long as your moving.

+1 on Sharpie1's comments, I have this suit and simply wear a jersey over it...

removeable chest & back protectors plus a kidney belt....deals can be found

as this model is considered a closeout at some shops.

130287739-L.jpg

I was trying to find the brand of the one I wore and it looked nothing like that, that has ALOT more venting than the one I wore still trying to find it. that looks alot nicer that what i wore.

I'm avoiding buying anymore 661 products after using their mtb gloves and full-face helmet. The wrist-cuff separated from the glove after first couple rides, didn't even go down. The helmet's mouthpiece is not centered, it sits askew on my face.

That's the only experience I have with them but I see their pressure suits are marked down to $100 (blueskycycling.com). I'm going to pay more and spring for the RockGardn Flak Jacket. I bought the other 661 items because they were cheap. In return I found the products to be cheap in quality. The helmet has save my noggin a few times though!

I'm guessing you need to wear a shirt under the pressure suit right? That would me an that you would probably be wearing three layers (shirt, pressure suit and jersey) which would be pretty warm. Maybe I'm wrong hear and you can wear the pressure suit with nothing undereath and only a jerson on top. Seems like that would be uncomfortable. Your pressure suit would get pretty stanky too if you didn't wear a shirt underneath it.

I don't wear anything underneath the suit...haven't experienced any chafing or problems even after day long rides. If it gets smelly then I just give it a splash in the tub with woolite...

If you're worried about getting a little skanky when you go riding, Hardley Ableson has a bike for you. You can ride it down to the corner pub and park it in front while you have a cold frosty. (just one)

I cant wait to get a little sweat going on, thats when I know I'm ready for the days ride.

I got Thor's impact rig for X-mas, & I love it. I wear it on my dirtbike & DS. I'm 160lbs/5'10", & the LG/XLG fits great, so I don't know how good it would fit a larger person. thorimpactrig.jpg

I wear the sixsixone pressure suit. I wear it over a synthetic t-shirt that wicks the moisture away. I haven't worn a jersey over it yet, and I sure get some looks from the cagers. When moving it is cool enough to not consider ditching it. I does block wind from the chest area. I even wear it under my jacket in cooler weather. Can't have too much protection.

I like having all the protection in one place. Hopfully I will not have to find out how good it works. I always thought the MX hard protectors were mostly for roost and not wipeouts.

I wear an Troy Lee suit from a few years back. It's got soft chest padding, a back spine, hard shoulder and elbow pads, all mounted on a mesh 'jacket'. It's comfortable, lightweight and very breathable. It's even comfortable with a camelback. I ride almost entirely in the desert, and I don't really notice it once it's on - except in crashes, where it's saved me a couple times. I will never ride without it. :applause:

The only issue is that an undershirt is almost a must - chafing has been an issue. :applause: