Sign in to follow this  

crf250r starting concerns

Hey guys, just looking for some input regarding starting a kick only 4 stroke. Currently I race the B 250 class (KX 250). I am very interested in a 2005 crf 250r but, I am leery about a 4 stroke being reliable for a mass start. I also have an 03 crf 450, and can forget about starting it in gear. I love the 250f but dont want to give up 20 seconds on the start

All these bikes don't like to start in gear....So what are you geting at?Why would it start any different then your KX?If you are jetted right and valve clearance ain't tight whats the diff?

Well the difference would be (and im assuming again) that his KX250 is a 2-stroke... since they dont make 4-stroke KX250's and hes racing in the 250 class... and a CRF250R is a 4-stroke, therefore being a beast to start compared to a 2smoke... but then again assumptions are bad sometimes.

Well the difference would be (and im assuming again) that his KX250 is a 2-stroke... since they dont make 4-stroke KX250's and hes racing in the 250 class... and a CRF250R is a 4-stroke, therefore being a beast to start compared to a 2smoke... but then again assumptions are bad sometimes.

Your right about the assumption bit.Your telling me that a cold or even warm 4-stroke is harder to start then a two smoke?You obviously don't own a four stroke.

..:censored:

I don't have a problem starting my 2006 crf250r, it will usually start first or second kick.

And when cold (not cold weather, just cold engine) it will start 3rd to 4th kick

Boy your about as smart as they come!Your right about the assumption bit.Your telling me that a cold or even warm 4-stroke is harder to start then a two smoke?You obviously don't own a four stroke or you don't know how to jet your bike.I can dump any of my bikes over about as hot as they can be and start them in four kicks,probably less.:censored:

i think you are smoking something, or dont own and have never ridden a 2 stroke...

4 strokes are hard to start in gear. NOT impossible, but hard. 2 strokes on the other hand start like champs.

my crf250r starts up no problem in neutral, and i can normally start it in gear when its warm assuming i didnt dump it over and flood it too badly.

i would say that as far as starts go, you should be able to start it in neutral and then click it down into 1st without losing much time.

• Like 1

i think you are smoking something, or dont own and have never ridden a 2 stroke...

4 strokes are hard to start in gear. NOT impossible, but hard. 2 strokes on the other hand start like champs.

my crf250r starts up no problem in neutral, and i can normally start it in gear when its warm assuming i didnt dump it over and flood it too badly.

i would say that as far as starts go, you should be able to start it in neutral and then click it down into 1st without losing much time.

Who's smoking what?Cause your reading comprehension isn't good.I all ready said four strokes are hard to start in gear! So is my two stroke.Yes I own both bikes.

Any bike is hard to start when flooded so your compairing apples to apples.

As far as dead starts go,which is the question at hand my four strokes will start just as easy as my two stroke cold or hot.Most of the time my four strokes start easier,in two to four kicks cold.And if I push the button on my X

it takes no kicks.LOL.

once again if your jetted right for conditions,these bikes start the same.

yes I don't live in the snow where it is really cold and nothing wants to start easy,but i don't see a huge differance in either,Not enough to call the 250 a beast to start.:censored:

I have both a CR250 and a CRF250R and I race GNCC and H/S and I start both of them in gear at the line with no problem. I don't feel either one of them is easier to start than the other on the line. Of course you need to make sure that your jetting is correct and that you have a good starting routine for the 4 stroke. I gave up my X with the E-button for a more nibble and less wieght of the X for the R and love it.

Who's smoking what?Cause your reading compression isn't good.I all ready said for strokes are hard to start in gear! So is my two stroke.Yes I own both bikes.

Any bike is hard to start when flooded so your compairing apples to apples.

As far as dead starts go,which is the question at hand my four strokes will start just as easy as my two stroke cold or hot.Most of the time my four strokes start easier,in two to four kicks cold.And if I push the button on my X

it takes no kicks.LOL.

once again if your jetted right for conditions,these bikes start the same.

yes I don't live in the snow where it is really cold and nothing wants to start easy,but i don't see a huge differance in either,Not enough to call the 250 a beast to start.:censored:

my reading COMPRESSION is just fine thank you! just replaced the rings and gaskets! :ride:

my 2 stroke isnt hard to start in gear. my FOUR (not for) stroke IS hard to start in gear. my 2 stroke starts a lot easier than my 4 stroke when flooded as well... so to put it how you did... comparing apples to apples, a flooded 2 stroke starts alot easier than a flooded 4 stroke. that is in my experience at least. maybe you are superman and you can kick the bike over a lot harder and faster than the rest of us? but if that is the case why ride dirt bikes??!?! you can FLY!!!

he's an old man set in his ways. I wish I had a e-start on my R. But what is this X guy talking smack in the R forum? Two different bikes the R and the mellow x. Ive also found both bikes to start about the same, only if you have the valves set on the crf correctly.

he's an old man set in his ways. I wish I had a e-start on my R. But what is this X guy talking smack in the R forum? Two different bikes the R and the mellow x. Ive also found both bikes to start about the same, only if you have the valves set on the crf correctly.

Stallion isen't talking smack... He knows what hes talking about pertaining to 250R's and 250X's. All he was doing was answering the thread starters question, so don't rag on him for trying to help.

my reading COMPRESSION is just fine thank you! just replaced the rings and gaskets! :ride:

my 2 stroke isnt hard to start in gear. my FOUR (not for) stroke IS hard to start in gear. my 2 stroke starts a lot easier than my 4 stroke when flooded as well... so to put it how you did... comparing apples to apples, a flooded 2 stroke starts alot easier than a flooded 4 stroke. that is in my experience at least. maybe you are superman and you can kick the bike over a lot harder and faster than the rest of us? but if that is the case why ride dirt bikes??!?! you can FLY!!!

I am super man! Even my last name is Kent.Get it? yes I can fly but have a little trouble spelling some times.:censored:

Easy newb,this thread ain't big enough for both of us to talk smack.:censored:

• Like 1