Sign in to follow this  

41mm FCR fitment problem

Anybody run into this while installing the TT Store 41 FCR onto thier E model- I'm unable to get the airbox boot over the bellmouth section of the carb. Is the rubber material possibly 'shrunk' from age (it's a year model 2000). I measured the difference between the clamping area of the 2 parts and found it to be .218" inch smaller on the boot side. Or is it possible that the supplied bellmouth that came with the carb is actually for a different make/model bike? Like to hear from anybody (Burned, you listening?) b4 I buy a new airbox boot. :censored:

It's easy to fix, I'll tell you this, but be careful.............

Take the boot off and get a propane torch (yes I said be careful for a reason). Heat up the receptor end of the boot verry slowly. DO NOT heat up the boot quickly, if you heat it up quickly, it will burn the rubber and crack it, trust me, I know.

So you heat up the boot and then reinstall it on the bike. It's best to already have the carb in the boot that goes to the engine. So reinstall while the boot is hot and it will hold heat for a few minuets. This should give you enough expansion in the heated rubber, to fit easily over the bell mouth. Once you have it on the bell mouth and in position, clamp it down to the carb and then to the airbox.

Thnx for the 411 guys. Never even crossed my feeble mind to try either one of those fixes & I've been workin on bikes longer than I will admit here. I'll try it this weekend. I'm just so burned out from screaming in my garage for the last 3 hours. Gotta good wine buzz going on now. Best not attempt anymore fixes till I've gotta clear head.

A heat gun would do the same thing with less risk of melting or burning the rubber.

True, True. But I don't own a heat gun.:censored:

I have also found it is a bit easier to remove the airboot from the airbox. This enables me to have a some more wiggle room to work the boot onto the intake bell. Once on, I clamp and then replace the boot on the airbox. Subsequent removal and refitment has been easier. Just that firt time is a real Biatch. If it is still giving you grief, try removing both the carb and the boot. Fit the two together on the bench. You'll be able work it on easier there. Once on, you will have given it a little stretching. Remove the airboot, stuff it in the frame where it belongs, put the carb ALL THE WAY in the manifold on the bike, slip the boot on the carb.

I did my FCR when the bike had 50 miles, the boot did not cooperate then so age has no limits.