Sign in to follow this  

'07 450sxf Low End - is it a big deal?

I'm still debating a new 450 sxf but keep reading 'not-so-nice' comments about the low end power. My question is - Is it really that noticable?

I'm a 40 year old vet novice (5'10" - 210 lbs) and more of a motocross rider than a racer (mid pack finishes and having a ball). Last year I raced a WR450 with YZ plastics (love the estart man!). So I'm thinking that even if the KTMs low is not so great, it's might (no, make that PROBABALY) be plenty for me (without having to powerbomb the thing).

My plan was to have it fitted with a 42 pilot and fron & rear factory connection suspension before I pick it up. I still land on my back tire off all jumps and slam the front pretty hard on a regular basis. I figured the suspension is a must for my weight and riding style (or lack of).

I'm having a hard time deciding between a new YZ and the SXF. I'm thinking I can ignore the mags and the KTM will be plenty for a guy like me. Am I out of my mind or should I plan on a mod due to my weight?

Also - i have a quote of 7K +tax out the door AND he said he'd roll the cost of the FC suspension job onto the financing AND they's put it back together for free. Thats 200 off and no extras - good price?

Thoughts?

I'm a 40+ vet novice myself and although this is my first four stroke I feel no lack of power anywhere. In fact, for some the mild low to mid transition is a benefit. Don't believe the mags (especially MXA), they assume everyone is an expert. These days, all these bikes are pretty much equal and its all the rider. Definately do the suspension as your weight calls for stiffer springs.

Hey CBB - I see you're also from Massachusetts. Do you ride any of the NCSC races - maybe we've crossed paths? (I live South of Boston).

That bike has all the low end you´ll ever need. And then some. Low end power isn´t lacking - It´s just very smooth and doesn´t have a hit when it reaches lower mid range. Third gear cornering in all but the tightest corners( and this is a four speed engine) is effortless. Reason for that mild low end is the OEM header. It has all too much girth and too little lenght in it.

Tell your dealer to put in #42 pilot jet.

Stock is a 40 pilot. If you aren't used to riding bikes with a ton of torque i.e., 525sx or a modded CRF450, you probably won't notice it that much. You will notice it if you lug it out of a corner in 3rd and try to pin it to get up to speed quickly. Like I said in earlier posts, you need to ride it more 250F-like, i.e. keep the rev's up and feather the clutch out of tight turns.

Hey CBB - I see you're also from Massachusetts. Do you ride any of the NCSC races - maybe we've crossed paths? (I live South of Boston).

Don't really race much anymore, but I do all the practices at Middleboro. I live in Norwood and ride mostly Middleboro, Crowhill in Templeton, Rocky Hill CT, and various tracks on the cape. Still wear my race #129, might even do a NCSC race or two this year with the new bike.

Qoute from our leader John Penton about 1973, "torque is nice but it never won a race"

Want torque go buy an EXC, want to race you need a bigger bore shorter stroker engine, SXF, Huseberg & Husky

I'm from CT, done a little racing in 35 and 40 plus A class in NESC in 05, one race last year in NY, on 04 and 06 CRf450s. I'm thinking about the new Katoom for a change of pace, just wondering if I will be disappointed with the power. I talked with Steve Ross at Factory Connection, and he gave me reassurance that the suspension is good, some guys are riding them with stock valving. Some mags describe a heavy flywheel effect, and others are blaming the head pipe for the lack of low end. Thoughts?

I'm from CT, done a little racing in 35 and 40 plus A class in NESC in 05, one race last year in NY, on 04 and 06 CRf450s. I'm thinking about the new Katoom for a change of pace, just wondering if I will be disappointed with the power. I talked with Steve Ross at Factory Connection, and he gave me reassurance that the suspension is good, some guys are riding them with stock valving. Some mags describe a heavy flywheel effect, and others are blaming the head pipe for the lack of low end. Thoughts?

I can't really say just yet cuz I've only got two hours on the hour meter so its not really even broken in yet. But so far I'm impressed. I was worried about coming off a two stroke and having to change my riding style to adapt to a thumper, but it wasn't even an issue. I hopped on and felt comfortable right away. Turns better than any KTM i've ever had (01, 03, 05 sx 250s) and is very rider friendly. And the e-start is the shizzle, kicking is so archaic. Think about the last time they had kickstarters on street bikes? Anyways, I'd highly recommend one but no matter what you buy you'll love it, these are the best dirt bikes ever built. Pick a color.

I went from a 06 yz450f to the sxf. I am also a 40+ vet novice rider. I really like the way it makes the power, more controllable coming out of turns. I also like the way it turns and feels in the air, like you every jump I make is an adventure. Electric start is awsome.

Hi TBone. Man, you asked every question I have been wanting to ask. Currently on a YZ 250 2 stroke and want that estart and hydraulic clutch SOOO bad! Riding buddy has 06 YZ 450f SE and love that bike too. Just want to be a little diffrent. Does anyone ever demo bikes? Hate to ask a guy to take his new KTM for a rip and then dump it. Thankfor asking the right questions. Sounds like we ride similar except I'm in Canada and we have a lot less tracks. Jams

First of all ; You won´t be disappointed with the power. It´s not lacking, it is just very smooth. The OEM head pipe is the main culprit for that mellow low-end but at the same time you´ll get the power to the ground instead of spinning the rear wheel every time you open the throttle.

Get a test ride on one. I´m sure you´ll like the bike.

for a 450, there is no "so call" lousy low end

it is how "usable" it is that is putting to the ground.

... Like I said in earlier posts, you need to ride it more 250F-like, i.e. keep the rev's up and feather the clutch out of tight turns.

That's good to know. My 450SXF will be in the garage during the 2nd week of March.

I'm coming off a 280 kitted 250SXF. So it looks like it will be a smooth transition. The 280 kit made it a really fun bike. I'm 45 and weigh around 260lbs with gear. Other than a lack of confidence, the bike is capable of clearing all but the biggest jumps on the tracks we ride. It was a great bike to regain confidence on.

Coming off of an '04 250SX, I was also amazed at the lack of time to adjust to the 4stk. Just jumped on it and it felt really comfortable and really no adjust time needed.

Can't wait to throw a leg over the 450SXF!

I am so glad to stumble on this post and have a lot of my worries(thanks to MXA) about this bike erased! Just a quick question where you guys in Mass are buying your bikes? I'm up in Maine but was thinking of trying some dealers in southern New England like maybe Razee's or even Cernic's in PA to see if i could get a better price(If they even have any left?)

thanks for any input.

john

Hi TBone. Man, you asked every question I have been wanting to ask. Currently on a YZ 250 2 stroke and want that estart and hydraulic clutch SOOO bad! Riding buddy has 06 YZ 450f SE and love that bike too. Just want to be a little diffrent. Does anyone ever demo bikes? Hate to ask a guy to take his new KTM for a rip and then dump it. Thankfor asking the right questions. Sounds like we ride similar except I'm in Canada and we have a lot less tracks. Jams

Mototown USA had a ktm demo day. Didn't get a chance to ride any of them but i saw a ton of people ripping them up. 250 and 450.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

After much deliberation I picked up a new YZ450. I know I would have been very happy with the KTM but I am equally pleased with my decision.

Note to jdebartolo from Maine: Freedom Cycles in NH has an '07 450SXF in stock. I saw it there 5 days ago. Not sure what kinds of deal you can work but since there is no sales tax you'll be at least $300 ahead of the game.

-Tony