Sign in to follow this  

Decent torque wrench under $100.00?

I'm looking to replace my crappy torque wrench with one that might actually "torque" things at least reasonably close to what the setting on the wrench is. I sheared a bolt off my clutch's pressure plate trying to torque it to 9lb's. The problem is, torque wrenches seem to cost around $300.00 for a halfway decent one. I'm not paying that much so if anyone knows of a decent, low-torque torque wrench, let a brotha know. Thanks.

Dont buy from Tool Tolopia. Thats where i ordered my SK torque wrenches. THey were shipped loose in a giant box with a few small sheets of paper :censored: I dont want my wrenches being banged around inside a box when im spending 160 dollars.

Most 3/8" torque wrenches are in foot pounds.You need a inch pound TW to properly torque such a light setting. 9ft.lbs = 108 inch pounds.I've had a cheapie Crasftman for a while,and it seems to work fine.You really need two TW's to work on bikes.An inch and foot pounders.

Most 3/8" torque wrenches are in foot pounds.You need a inch pound TW to properly torque such a light setting. 9ft.lbs = 108 inch pounds.I've had a cheapie Crasftman for a while,and it seems to work fine.You really need two TW's to work on bikes.An inch and foot pounders.

yes you do need two. However, i got 2 3/8" Sk torque wrenches. one is like 30-250 inch pounds, and one is 10-80 ft poounds... i think.

i got mine at harbor freight for like 20$

I dont mean to flame anyone, but personally, I wouldnt trust a $20 wrench - there is some skill in developing and building a torque wrench. $20 jsut seems too low. But then again, if its working for you.....

I dont mean to flame anyone, but personally, I wouldnt trust a $20 wrench - there is some skill in developing and building a torque wrench. $20 jsut seems too low. But then again, if its working for you.....

Any click type torque wrench no matter if it cost $20 or $200 can and will go out of spec. You really have to calibrate the things. The bending beam type are almost always right on. I use one of those to calibrate the $20 Harbor freight job that I have. It really needed calibration. Properly calibrated the Harbor freight torque wrench actually works pretty well.

I have found to do all the work, three ranges are needed. A 1/4 inch drive low range for the 9 or 10 ft lbs 6mm bolts with the 10mm heads. A 3/8 inch medium range for larger fasteners, and a high range 1/2 inch for the crank and wheel axles that need 75 to 100 ft lbs.

Dont buy from Tool Tolopia. Thats where i ordered my SK torque wrenches. THey were shipped loose in a giant box with a few small sheets of paper :censored: I dont want my wrenches being banged around inside a box when im spending 160 dollars.

I just purchased two SKs from Amazon but shipped from ToolTopia a couple of weeks ago for $153.90 shipped. They did put them in a large box but had lots of the heavy paper filler to prevent movement in shipping. This is what I got:

SK 74026 for the larger stuff

and

SK 74104 for the small stuff.

I'm very happy with these.

I just purchased two SKs from Amazon but shipped from ToolTopia a couple of weeks ago for $153.90 shipped. They did put them in a large box but had lots of the heavy paper filler to prevent movement in shipping. This is what I got:

SK 74026 for the larger stuff

and

SK 74104 for the small stuff.

I'm very happy with these.

yup, thats exactly what i got too, only there was very little paper

Speaking of amazon, never buy from Tool King. They misadvertised a product and were unwilling to reinverse my shipping and return shipping for it. They claimed that it said its "as is" because it was refurbished. Apparently "as is" means "not as advertised" to them :censored:

Hmm, I didnt read all the responses, but I read the first ones and no one mentioned Husky. I went to Home Depot 2 yeaars ago and got a fat Husky torque wrench that goes up to 250ft-lbs, and it also does the Newton thing and inch/lbs. Best of all, it was $68 bucks.

Its super nice and I love it, and I use it almost everyday.

Looked this one up on ebay and there selling for $40 bucks (this is the exact one I have)

2130739-1.jpg

Hmm, I didnt read all the responses, but I read the first ones and no one mentioned Husky. I went to Home Depot 2 yeaars ago and got a fat Husky torque wrench that goes up to 250ft-lbs, and it also does the Newton thing and inch/lbs. Best of all, it was $68 bucks.

Its super nice and I love it, and I use it almost everyday.

Looked this one up on ebay and there selling for $40 bucks (this is the exact one I have)

2130739-1.jpg

That might be a decent TW,but for the original posters needs,your not going to get a accurate 9 ft. lb. reading with that.

That is so true! You need to get a 1/4" drive torque wrench and this will most likely cover the entire range of torque needed for the fine engine work and give you enough resolution to be as accurate as required. You may need a heavier torque wrench 3/8" drive for crank bolts... but the application will be few.