Sign in to follow this  

Help!!

just bought an 05 250f about 2 weeks ago, i love it. i just got a new rear tire for it but i've run into a problem. i cant get the axel out. i've been beating and pownding on the thing for 4 days now. my thumbs are in worst shape than the axel...i've used penetrating oil and other little tricks that would usually get one out but this thing likes where it is and doesnt want to come out. the entire sleeve, bearings and seals are starting to slide out...i'm trying to be careful because im suppose to be riding this weekend with a few buddies. please someone give me some help. a friend of mine told me to lay the bike over, support the swing arm and just start wacking. i dont want to damage the sleeve, bearings and seals any more than i have to seeing as how i'm riding this weekend.

little side note, i've got a new axel, spacers, washer, nut and dust guards so i'm not too worried about the old ones on the bike....please help!! :censored:

Could the axle be seized in the wheel bearings? Sounds like your bearings and seals are toast already. I would see where you can get new seals and bearings asap. You may need to extract the ones you have and match up at a local bearing house. If your local dealers are like mine they won't stock a stinkin spark plug.

just bought an 05 250f about 2 weeks ago, i love it. i just got a new rear tire for it but i've run into a problem. i cant get the axel out. i've been beating and pownding on the thing for 4 days now. my thumbs are in worst shape than the axel...i've used penetrating oil and other little tricks that would usually get one out but this thing likes where it is and doesnt want to come out. the entire sleeve, bearings and seals are starting to slide out...i'm trying to be careful because im suppose to be riding this weekend with a few buddies. please someone give me some help. a friend of mine told me to lay the bike over, support the swing arm and just start wacking. i dont want to damage the sleeve, bearings and seals any more than i have to seeing as how i'm riding this weekend.

little side note, i've got a new axel, spacers, washer, nut and dust guards so i'm not too worried about the old ones on the bike....please help!! :censored:

More than likely the last owner didn't grease the axle when he put it together the last time, and the axle is now rusted to the bearings, or the sleeve. Get a propane torch & warm up both ends of the axle, then lay it over on it's side & beat it like a red headed stepchild (JUST KIDDING about the stepchild).

If that don't work, you may have to resort to even more drastic measure, and break out the sawzall. Go in between the inner side of the swingarm and the wheel spacer on the left side of the bike and saw away. On the right hand side go in between the wheel spacer and the brake caliper mount. Luckily I don't think this is hardened steel, so it should cut pretty easily. Once you're done with both sides, you should be able to pull the wheel out like the axle was gone.

I'd try the heat & whack method first though.

If you decide to cut it out, try not to make a mess of the brake caliper mount, or you may have to replace it.

Or you could remove the swingarm with the wheel still intact & take it somewhere where they have a press. But if they didn't grease the axle, they may not have greased the swingarm pivot bolt, and you may not get that one out either. :ride:

Good Luck!!!!!!

Sorry for my english at the beginning:) Try to find in any shop "freezing spray" , it is used for mounting a bearing (You spray the thing You want to put a bearing on and it shrink a little). You cuold spray your axle inside (i supposed is empty inside), spray it really good, and than quickly hit it. Of course it can break but You don't have anything to lose. Good luck!

well i wanted to get the axel out before i had to resort to cutting and hacking away. im taking the bike to my parents house tomorrow my dad is a master mechanic. he has a press at his house along with a lift so im going to get the bike on its side lift it up a little bit and just go to town on that bad boy. i had the swing arm bolt and the front axel out last week, they wer easy to get out. i think he just forgot to do the greese the rear...:censored: