trying to master the wheelie...

ok so.. i have practiced doin wheelies for awhile now.. and can hold the wheel up throughout 2nd gear.. but once the gear runs out i have to drop the front down.. my problem is that it is ocward to change gears with the wheel up... my question is how can i change gears with the wheel up.. do i use the cluych.. do i let off the gas.. i have no idea.. thanks in advance.. :ride::censored:

i think the best way to shift while doing a wheelie is to close the throtle

just enuff to unload the transmision and dont use the clutch ( especialy fron second to third, no neutral) Finding the ballance point is also important because the more ballance you have, the less power is needed to keep the wheel up. Try to shift as soon as possible cuz at realy high revs the shifting is not as easy. One last tip, keep your right foot ready to use the rear brake

in case you are about to loop out and always look far ahead. If you can master wheelies on a 125, you will be awsome on a 250 or 450...

good luck and have fun:prof:

• Like 1

the best way to long wheelies is to get use to doing a stand up wheelie in 5th gear that way the throttle response isnt so severe and you can ride it for ever stand up wheelies are easier i think because you use your body more to get to the balance point rather than gas and brake.

I can't ride a wheelie myself, so I don't have any firsthand info to offer, but here's a link to a video about wheelying a street bike. Might be helpful.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6656191590638402466&q=motorcycle&hl=en

Thats a pretty good vid, I think however, that there might be a little more too it on a dirt bike (dirt, rocks, uneven terrian ect.) but it defiantly is a good starting point.

i think the best way to shift while doing a wheelie is to close the throtle

just enuff to unload the transmision and dont use the clutch ( especialy fron second to third, no neutral) Finding the ballance point is also important because the more ballance you have, the less power is needed to keep the wheel up. Try to shift as soon as possible cuz at realy high revs the shifting is not as easy. One last tip, keep your right foot ready to use the rear brake

in case you are about to loop out and always look far ahead. If you can master wheelies on a 125, you will be awsome on a 250 or 450...

good luck and have fun:prof:

I agree 100%. I start mine in 2nd then go from there.

Dont listen to anyone who says you need more accelleration room in order to ride a wheelie out, you can ride a wheelie at 5mph in 1st gear for as long as you want to. It's called balance point, its the point where you no longer need constant accelleration to keep your front up, you just feather the gas and use the rear brake to keep you from looping...once you learn it you can ride it for as long as you want.

For me this is 2nd gear clutching up and keeping it right at the bottom of the powerband

highup.jpg

i also have a problem in going on a straight line while wheelying. i always go sideways. any advice on how to go straight???

Could be a couple factors.

#1 youre rear wheel may not be aligned completely straight, if its off a little bit you will always track to that side.

#2 body postition

#3 when you pick up the front end you may be pulling more on one side, which will also make you track that direction.

As you get better you will be able to lean off the side of the bike to steer while wheelying.....and let me tell you, long sweepers on one wheel is awesome :applause:

• Like 1

I heard it once but is it really easier to wheelie standing? I have also been trying to learn (or I was before winter hit). I would really like to learn to wheelie this summer. I never tried to do it standing. I have also been trying to do so without going through the gears. I want to learn the balance point. I was trying it in second...is that too low of a gear to learn the balance point (for a beginner)?

One trick I heard on here to try:

Start by lifting the front tire and immediately use the rear brake to bring it back down. Do this a few times, then lift the front higher and bring it down. As you keep raising the front tire, you learn to use the rear brake to bring it down. Eventually, you get to the balance point.

I guess I just need a lot more practice.

It depends on the person, I cannot ride balance point standing up on my dirtbike since im used to being in a stagger position on the street bike (right foot on leg left on passenger peg)...im really not use to standing on both front pegs so I never really bothered learning. Sitting down on dirtbikes is the easiest for me to get BP on em. Just gotta find your forte.

In order to ride a wheelie for a long time, clutching it up is pretty much necessary (for a 4 stroke anyway), which you'll be riding at your desired rpm, pull in the clutch, rev and drop the clutch, it's the most predictable and best way to wheelie. Brings you up to the same spot every time as you get used to your RPM, and it gets you there the fastest, giving you plenty of powerband left to fiddle with.

It's all just practice practice practice. As ive said many times before in other threads, rear brake control is the first thing you need to have down before you wheelie, if you bring up the front wheel and get too scared to be able to tap the rear brake then dont wheelie, cause you'll eventually loop out and hurt yourself. When you are bringing down a wheelie you dont just roll off the throttle, it can cause you to tankslap or blow your seals if its a hard drop, you actually accellerate and hold down the rear brake which brings it down nice and cush.