Sign in to follow this  

hot start button. wat is it exactly?

hi guyz may sound a bit dumb but i'm kind of wondering wat a Hot Start button/lever is? is it the same as an E-Start button? :censored::ride::lol:

The hot start, is for the MX bikes, here the MX bikes are called SX the enduro bikes EXC do not have it. I am not sure about the specs in the far east sorry :ride:

I am not entirely sure of the workings of it, but basically if you have an off and it is difficult to start you use the hot start and it will be easier to fire up again it should be a red lever around the choke area on your bike if you have one. It has nothing to do with the electric start :censored:

a lever that helps with hard starting of a bike? so can it be compared to the de-compression levers on the EXCs' ? are the functions same?agian, sorry for bein dumb :censored:

I think it is more to do with fuel/air mixture but i am starting tread out of my depth here as i have never had a bike with one, so i have never had cause to have any knowledge of one but i don't think it has anything to do with decompression. Sorry :censored:

The choke knob richens the mixture, usually by cutting the amount of air.

The hot start knob leans the mixture by cutting the amount of fuel.

The decompression lever opens an exhaust valve so you can stroke the engine just past top dead center before kick starting. Otherwise, it would be impossible/very difficult to kick past TDC, and if you didn't make it, it would kick back like an SOB.

Autodecompression keeps an exhaust valve open over TDC until the engine reaches a certain RPM.

Good answers from Mike! The Hot Start knob is right on the carb on the KTM SX type 4 strokes.

A Hot Start lever extends the same thing up to the handle bars. Now my opinion, Hot Start has some use in restarting if the engine is stalled with the throttle open, not too uncomon in a crash to have the thorottle open, If a guy has a manual compresion release he can clear any excess gas in about 2 kicks, that is fine for the trail riders, the MX racer needs to get going instantly so there may be just a bit of justification for it? I feel like its 99% hype, examle, my Husky 450 came with one and came with too big of a pilot jet. One false move and the engine was stalled and flooded and I was using the Hot Start constantly, I corrected the jetting, have not pulled that silly knob in two years. So I see it as 90% gotta have another trick up on the otherguys to get hyped