Sign in to follow this  

Help! Need to decide which bike asap!!

Looking at two 450's. One is a pro racer's practice bike, a 2006 KX450F. Motor has been redone top to bottom (new crank, piston, etc) and has low hours, has Tristar top/bottom triple clamps, ASV levers, will need some cosmetics (plastic/graphics/seat cover), tires, and chain/sprockets. According to his mechanic this bike had been very reliable until it cracked a piston. $3000!

The other is a 2005 CRF450R. Basically stock with radiator braces and a skidplate. Will need tires. Owner mostly rode at practice tracks. Bike is clean and appears well maintained. $3200...

Both bikes are 4 hours from me, but in different directions, so I need to pick one. I know numbers-wise (KBB, NADA) the Kawi is a flat out steal. Just worried about the abuse it's had to endure. I know the Honda is a good deal (low end of the book value) and I have no reservations about buying it, it's just that I'm having a hard time passing up an '06 450 for $3000. I'm going to pick up one of them tomorrow as it's the only free weekend I have for a while. Thoughts???

Is it really a steal if you have to spend a thousand on a rebuild every so often. Ask yourself why he's selling such a new bike so quickly? The Honda is a better motor. I'd go with the Honda or look for other bikes. Be patient and you'll find a heck of a deal. There's always someone out there that wrecked on the first few rides and hasn't touched it since.

I had an 06' KX450F and would suggest that bike. But I would want confirmation in writing or paperwork about the engine rebuild. If your picking it up from the racers mechanic then have him do a compression test and go over the bike and all that he did to it and as long as the compression is good and it starts and runs without issue it will be okay to buy. Just my $.02. If he won't do anything I mentioned then drive 8 hours to get the CRF450. But I would think also if the kawi is coming from a pro racer the seat, plastic and graphic's would be in tip top shape.

I would never buy a pro's practice bike. Never. Of the pro's that are my friends, most of their practice bikes are thrashed but have a few nice extras on them (eye candy). Remember the motor is the most important part of the bike. I would personally go with the Honda of the Kawi of those two bikes.

For the record I ride the best bike, Yamaha.

I would never buy a used practice bike from any rider, and a pro rider least of all. All things being equal, kawaskis are made from lower grade parts (ie bolts, brackets, motor mounts etc.... they do not last as long as Yamaha or Honda stuff.) If the honda is hard to start it probably needs valve adj or new valves either way that means many hours and take a pass. I have an 05 crf 450 and I love that bike! Awsome power(boysen quik shot is the only mod) and great handling and suspension. Good luck

I still wouldn't buy a pro's bike, the motor could still be hopped up and wont last as long as the stock motor, so I would get the honda unless you could confirm that the motor has stock parts in it, not factory parts. But if it has stock parts in it I would jump on the KXF, just because it is all redone and ready to ride!

But I do suggest also if you can ride both bikes and see which one your prefer out of the two, you could end up buying the CRF/R and like the KX/F more or vise-versa

go wit the crf450 not really a honda fan but when u start havin problems with big bikes like cracked pistons its not a good idea to get involved wit it...

Atleast the mechanic is honest...I would rather have the Kaw because you would know what you're getting into and have a good idea what shape the motor is in. To me, trail bikes could range from perfect to disasterous and I know people that run them into the ground. It's a risk either way and atleast you know more about the Kawasaki's health than the Honda. With all of those mods, I would go with the green!

The '05 Honda is sitting in my garage. Very tight, runs excellent and he dropped his price so I wouldn't go buy the other one...$3000! Only got to ride it up the street a bit, but WHOA! Gonna take some getting used to after having the 250F. Way more power, but actually didn't feel any heavier/bigger. Hurry up and melt, snow!