Sign in to follow this  

HD clutch springs

How hard is it to replace the stock clutch springs? Does the clutch basket need to be disassembled or removed? Can this be done with 'simple' hand tools and a service manual?

the rear axle for the 230 works as a clutch puller..

Rear axle as a clutch puller?? Sorry Heybuddy. The rear axle will work to help remove the flywheel in a pinch, not the clutch. The clutch springs can be swapped out quite easily with common hand tools.

Drain the oil first, or lean the bike over on its left side before removing the clutch cover. If doing the lean over method, remember to turn off the fuel supply. Once the clutch cover is removed the springs will be visible under the clutch pressure plate and 4 bolts.

Remove the 4 bolts in equal/turns during removal to avoid binding/damaging the clutch basket. Once the four bolts have been removed, the pressure plate can be removed and the new springs swapped in.

230 clutch springs work very well in a 150. Barnett sells even stiffer ones for more aggressive riders/built engines.

Reverse the disassembly procedure and you'll be up and running.

Good luck and ride safely.

Rear axle as a clutch puller?? Sorry Heybuddy. The rear axle will work to help remove the flywheel in a pinch, not the clutch. The clutch springs can be swapped out quite easily with common hand tools.

Drain the oil first, or lean the bike over on its left side before removing the clutch cover. If doing the lean over method, remember to turn off the fuel supply. Once the clutch cover is removed the springs will be visible under the clutch pressure plate and 4 bolts.

Remove the 4 bolts in equal/turns during removal to avoid binding/damaging the clutch basket. Once the four bolts have been removed, the pressure plate can be removed and the new springs swapped in.

230 clutch springs work very well in a 150. Barnett sells even stiffer ones for more aggressive riders/built engines.

Reverse the disassembly procedure and you'll be up and running.

flywheel is what i was thinking, the wheels werent turning again sorry

So your saying if your an aggressive rider, instead of going for stiffer 150 springs, stiffer 230 springs would work too?

It will make the clutch stiffer to pull (not something most people want), but they help the clutch from slipping.

The reason I ask is because I have some moose racing heavy duty clutch springs, they claim to be 15% stiffer than a stock 230. I hope this will help the clutch provide a little more bite as I find the stock feel almost too 'smooth'. This will also help when the cam goes in to handle the power increase.

Heybuddy,

No apology necessary. I figured you meant to say flywheel! We all make mistakes every now and then.

As far as spring selection, stock Honda 230 springs are far stronger/stiffer than the 150 springs. You will not be able to detect much if any difference at the clutch lever after installation.

But you could probably get the Barnett springs for even less money than the OEM Honda springs.