Sign in to follow this  

KTM not popular??

i don't noe if u all noticed it but as i looked at the forum's main page i learned that our ktm forum has the least no. of posts among the BIG 5: yammies,hondas,kawas,suzukis. and by a BIG big lot!

This is an American orientated website. Ktm's are not as popular in the USA like they are in Europe. Go to a European website you will probably find the reverse is true that KTM is the dominant brand :censored:

Actually................

KTM is very popular in America.

They have not concentrated very much on the big-tv-coverage of Supercross, but show up at any offraod event and you see a sea of orange.

It's just that there is a "brand specific" KTM web community with somewhere over 50,000 members that gets a lot of that traffic. Some of us come over here to, part because we like it here too, and part because we own another bike or three besides our KTMs..............

This is an American orientated website. Ktm's are not as popular in the USA like they are in Europe. Go to a European website you will probably find the reverse is true that KTM is the dominant brand :censored:

true!!:lol::ride:

after my experience with a KTM 250 EXC I understand why they are not so popular. Worst bike I have ever had. Made me go out and buy a 2007 WR 250

after my experience with a KTM 250 EXC I understand why they are not so popular. Worst bike I have ever had. Made me go out and buy a 2007 WR 250

that's ashamed, because things do change and KTM's have gotten much, much better. The new XCF line is a great bike and the new design on the SXF is raising the bar even higher for KTM.

I had a WR, it was an anvil, didn't think it could get any better, but it was top heavy and complicated to work on from the complicated design. I didn't really notice that till I owned and rode something else.

Why does everyone judge a company by a product they produced several years ago? The older KTM's did have their quirks, but the new bikes are some of the best in the industry. I am sure the WR will treat you well, though.:censored:

i don't noe if u all noticed it but as i looked at the forum's main page i learned that our ktm forum has the least no. of posts among the BIG 5: yammies,hondas,kawas,suzukis. and by a BIG big lot!

It's because we spend more time out RIDING :censored: than sitting here surfing :ride:

Actually................

KTM is very popular in America.

<snip>

It's just that there is a "brand specific" KTM web community with somewhere over 50,000 members that gets a lot of that traffic. Some of us come over here to, part because we like it here too, and part because we own another bike or three besides our KTMs..............

what he said. if i need specific ktm advice, i go to that other place. if i need to bs a little, or discuss a variety of other things (riding areas, my dr650, etc...) i come here.

what he said. if i need specific ktm advice, i go to that other place. if i need to bs a little, or discuss a variety of other things (riding areas, my dr650, etc...) i come here.

yep, me too.

Same here!..........

The popularity isn't that big here in Illinois. There are plenty of KTMs but they are easily outnumbered by a long shot. Its mostly Hondas and Yamahas but that is probably true wherever you go. As far as the forums go, ktmtalk is the place to go. I just got a 450 so I started coming here. Is one place better than the other? Not really, but if you don't have a KTM obviously ktmtalk is pretty useless. Like others have said, the general forums here are more active which I like quite a bit.

I agree with you. KTM does not sell as many bikes as the big four do here in the USA.

I agree with you. KTM does not sell as many bikes as the big four do here in the USA.

I have been watching some of the Canadian Nationals on Speed lately and I was surprised how many KTMs there were up there!

Depends on what crowd you roll with.

Go to enduros or other conventional (Not supercross clone) dirt-bike events and you see a whole hell of a lot of KTMs. Especially old KTMs with rediculous amounts of time on them that are still in great shape. You will also find that many of them are owned by folks who are at a different stage in their life (Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, other Professionals who have $$$) and have owned enough other bikes in the past to know what is important to "their" style of riding. Rarely are you going to find these folks at the local "track day" dealing with all the teenagers or twentysomething wankers and wannabees.

Go to a track on the weekend and look at all the Ricky wannabees riding the latest SuzHoYaKi that the magazines think is "the new best bike in the world". How many "old" bikes do you see? Either they do not last! Or the manufactures marketing these products has come out and said, "The bikes we made before are SHIT! Now you need the NEW '011 model that is faster because we have helium filled frame tubes or some other crap".

I worked in international manufacturing for years and I know that the average Japanese company's marketing philosophy is based on the average american consumer. I say "consumer" because the marketing philosophy is based in the idea that the product will be consumed/destroyed" in a set interval of time, and then they plan on selling you the new model. Prices are set to be most competitive, and frequently that means cheaper parts or poor fit/finish, because they know you will have to buy another one in a year or two and won't have the time to notice the lack of long term quality. Thats for the poor schmoe who buys your used Jap bike. He gets to fix all the problems and worn out parts. (Compare the percentage of used bikes that are totally clapped out and worthless being sold. A 2-4 year old Honda/Yami is usually beat to shit. A 2-4 year old KTM holds a lot more value and they tend to be in better condition from better service/build quality.)

European manufacturers tend to have a different philosophy. The typical northern european consumer saves up their money for a longer time and buys a single premium level product that they plan on keeping/maintaining for many years(instead of getting a new mediocre product every year). That is why you see extensive support for aftermarket parts and service products long after the models are discontinued.

I'm convinced KTM does not play the whole "I'm cooler than you" advertising and marketing game that the Japanese companies use on a regular basis. And they certainly don't tell you that your old bike is crap and not worth keeping/servicing just because a new model is here. Go to a KTM dealer and see how well they support older models with Parts and Accessories.

I had an 04 DRZ and loved it, it was a great bike. But trying to find even basic repair items in 05 or later meant special orders and long waits. And these bikes are very common. Most of the local PD have them so you would think spare parts would be available. But sadly, No.

Holy Bill_Malin, great post, Im 47, bought new 06 525 exc, paid cash, enjoy life, ride as much as possible, dont care what anybody else rides, having fun on my KTM.