Sign in to follow this  

edelbrock v. fcr

I have a 05 400s. After installing in./ex hotcams I'm now in the position to up grade the carb . Does anyone know what are the differences between the edelbrock and the fcr?

edelbrock makes fine carbs....for cars,trucks and racecars.

not dirtbikes....they are not up to par in this area...so ive been told.

i would pass on the edelbrock

go for the fcr - they are really hard to get but as far as i know TT shop gonna have them in stock next week. keep in mind that TT fcr conversion kit includes all the adapter and Manifold you'll need as well as the jet's.

drop an email to TT shop and ask them to add you to their list for the fcr.

DRZ400 FCR-MX Conversion Kit

use your 10% discount coupon!

BTW - when you put your hotcams did you chanced the base gasket?

auto160, I can't recall if I changed out the base gasket. I did what was recommended. Why do you pose that question? Will the 39mm fcr work with a big bore kit.

ive got an FCR on the way, but i was doing a lot of reading while working on building my friends xr650r SM, and how come a LOT of people use the edelbrock on their XRs?

granted to get better flow a lot of them have been bored out and what not, but the XR guys swear by them. &%$#@!?

auto160, I can't recall if I changed out the base gasket. I did what was recommended. Why do you pose that question? Will the 39mm fcr work with a big bore kit.

for best performance with hotcams you should chance your base gasket to E model gasket - the reason is that the e gasket is thinner so you get a higher compression ratio

the S/SM model 11.3:1 compression ratio

the E model 12.2:1 compression ratio

the fcr39 will work with big bore - maybe you'll have to change your jetting but that's the experts can tell you.

ive got an FCR on the way, but i was doing a lot of reading while working on building my friends xr650r SM, and how come a LOT of people use the edelbrock on their XRs?

granted to get better flow a lot of them have been bored out and what not, but the XR guys swear by them. &%$#@!?

thats changing.alot of them are now seeing the light.

ah. nice.

yea, i was reading up and i think the main reason was 'value' and ease of tune. but since all my MX bikes have that carb, i dont see why its that big of an issue.

but 1 question....the FCR MX started coming OEM in 2000 on the yz426's and before that it was just the FCR with the exposed AP rod correct? so the one that we want is the later model correct? (cause thats what i found) so we'll see.

either version works.the E models came with the old style till the change to the bsr in 07.

the main thing for the fcr to suitable for the drz is it must have a removeable intake bell.

gotcha.

ya, the YZ carbs (fcr) have the removable bell.

so the jetting for that thing (fcr) at 2000ft would be?

on an SM, full rs3, & 3x3 of course.

not all yz carbs do.especially after 02.

jetting is

158 main jet

200 main air jet

emn needle

clip 3

45 pilot jet

100 pilot air jet

2 turns fuel screw

after 2 1/2 years my Edelbrock works for me just fine. It's not a fine tuned, max horse power carb, and if you pump it like a two stroke it can be a gass hog. If your going to race your bike DON'T get one! For me, I use my bike to get to and from work, hitting the dirt when ever I can. :censored:slothcave.JPG

ah. cool eddie. thats why i stick to the old stuff. thanks a million.

ill post up after it gets all sorted and installed.

I hate Carburetors! but I am learning. In the mean time my Edelbrock has worked very well for the last couple of years, and is very easy to tune. Far better then the old CV carb. Sorry I can not compare it to the FCR, other then it was a lot cheaper at the time. I'm Happy with the Edelbrock.

Tim

As soon as a DRZ turns into a XR, then maybe the Edelbrock would be the way to go. :censored:

Rode a couple of weeks ago with a guy who had the Edelbrock on his '99 WR400 (the FCR that came with the bike broke). He doesn't like his Edelbrock at all.

How do I use the 10% discount?

when placing an order there's a text box that you can punch in your coupon number, by doing so the total amount of your order (not including shipping) will reduce by 10%.

as far as i know, every new TT member gets a new 10% coupon on his registration to TT, you can use the coupon at the first 30 days from your registration, the coupon itself is a private msg from TT admin.

eddie i can e-mail you my dyno sheets of 44hp at 8000 feet (adjusted altitude) with stock displacement and you guessed it an edelbrock carb. but i'm sure an fcr would make me 44.25 hp so i guess the extra $300 is worth it right?.....wrong but what do i know i'm not the omnipotent eddie "burned" sisneros