Sign in to follow this  

Why can't they ship this to the U.S?

when i asked a dealer buddie about getting one over here and he laughed at me.

said its not even close to worth shipping not to mention i bet there is alot of paper work

They can keep it.

it's vary heavy

17" rear

only 5 speed trans

low ground clearance

SOHC

EFI ?

Air cooled

It's an outdated by 10 years 07 bike with EFI.

Could one import such a machine, privately? Wonder if all the environmental/safety/etc. blocks have been checked.

Not interested in such a project myself (because, for one thing, I think similarly mission-capable bikes are available in the US); just wondering what's involved importing a motor vehicle not already available in America.

Im living in Sweden, those XTs are pretty popular DP bikes, and sold in big volumes as mc delivery bikes. They can take extreme abuse and just keep on pounding.

Quisetion

Im riding a XT 600 -88, u got those back in its days, or only the old 500 and the 350 ?

You're right about Americans wanting plastic wrapped clone bikes. Either that or they buy those orange KTMS, throw some Red Bull stickers on them and tell everyone how trick their bike is! LOL. Nevermind that every other guy on the block has the exact same bike.

Im living in Sweden, those XTs are pretty popular DP bikes, and sold in big volumes as mc delivery bikes. They can take extreme abuse and just keep on pounding.

Quisetion

Im riding a XT 600 -88, u got those back in its days, or only the old 500 and the 350 ?

They were here as far as I know... I've got the dirt version, TT600...

They were here as far as I know... I've got the dirt version, TT600...

when did they discontinue the line ?

as said before, in europe they are popular just cause they are beaters, taking abuse as well as any old xr 600

There are over 300 million people in America. Why do you put us all in the same bucket? I can tell you that if Yamaha or any other manufacturer saw a market here, they would capitalize on it. It is as simple as that.

Or maybe it is our lack of "sophistication" that causes us to buy different products than marketed elsewhere in the world where you cannot find a place to ride offroad or park a car... or where gas it outrageously taxed to make it almost unaffordable.

American trails frequently have these indigenous things called "rocks". And these "rocks" are very, very hard and sometimes very large and very sharp. So, if you try riding a bike with no skidplate and with pipes under the frame, you are going to suffer major engine case and exhaust pipe damage.

I have ridden plenty of XT600's and they were marginal but rideable offroad. And they were pretty good on the highway. So Yamaha obviously found it easier to turn them into street bikes with pretend offroad packaging than to make them into decent dual sport bikes. Removing the skid plate and slinging the pipes under the frame makes those bikes pretty much worthless for offroad riding.

And I am not a guy that thinks dual sports should be all dirt with turn signals. I gladly give up SOME offroad ability to have a bike work well on the street. But taking a street bike and hanging some offroad styling cues on it simply does not make a dual sport bike. Unless the two sports are paved and unpaved roads that is.

Too bad Yamaha decided to give up the big bore DS market. I have read a lot of good things about that 660 motor. Yamaha has sold it to other manfacterers that have done cool things with it. Liquid cooling and fuel injection is sweet. Why not stick that mill in a reworked WR frame and ship them here? I would buy one in a heartbeat.

But that XT660 is no more trail worthy than the Buell or Triumph pretender bikes. I'm sorry. I meant to say "adventure bikes". But, with half the displacement of those two, what exactly is the point? I suspect the point is to look like you COULD ride it offroad while you commute to work or school.

Yep, more and more it is looking like KTM and Husky are going to be the only DS big bore choices in America. Yamaha has bailed altogether. Suzuki and Kawasaki continue down the road toward adventure bikes. Who knows where Honda is going with the XR's. So all that is left in big bore DS's are KTM's and Husky's. Red Bull stickers or not.

. . . I suspect the point is to look like you COULD ride it offroad while you commute to work or school. . . .
While I'm incompetent judging the CONTENT of your post, grreatdog, I applaud your writing STYLE!

Somehow, the image of a Yugo with a trunk spoiler and NASCAR hood pins comes to mind . . .

:censored::ride::lol:

Why can't they ship them to the U.S.?

I'm sure they could, but they probably don't because the other 3 Jap companies allready import their outdated overweight dual sports. But hey, at least they're slow.:ride:

If Honda would just put an e-start on an their 650R and make it EPA/street legal, then we would have a cool fast somewhat modern big-bore DP bike. Okay it would still be heavy, but I would probably buy one over a Husky610.:censored: