Sign in to follow this  

Acceleration difference from 2nd-3rd/gearing/technique question

There is a jump at my SX track that is giving me troubles and I could use some advice. I've jumped much bigger gaps but this jump is tricky for me because it's more technical. Out of a tight left hand 180 degree turn I instantly encounter a small double (maybe 10' peak to peak almost like 2 whoops) then upon landing I have about 8-10' of flat before I hit the face of what can be a double or triple. The double's a joke so I'm now working on the triple which is 60' to the top of the landing ramp.

What I've been doing it coming out of the turn in 2nd, hopping the double and then nailing the throttle to clear it. The first time I over jumped the double, had less time to gather speed and went off the lip way nose high so I hurt my thumb when my rear hit the face of the landing slamming my front down hard. A few days later (after icing the crap out of my thumb) I tried again and still went way nose high but made it to the top. Out of about 10 attempts, 1 time I landed smooth on the backside of the ramp, 3-4 times I cleared it just barely but still landed nose high and the rest of the time I came up a little short and was nose high (one of these times tweaking my ankle).

Obviously one thing I need to do on this is lean further forward and or brake tap (which I'm still not that good at on something technical where a bunch of things are happening at once) as I pretty much have to be on full gas right to the end. So my question to you guys is do I keep working on this in 2nd gear and just get smoother as I know it can be done in 2nd? Or do I do what some guys do and click it into 3rd while in the air over the double and then use 3rd to clear it?

What I'm trying to figure out is given my very short runway will 2nd accelerate faster in it's higher RPMs or will 3rd be faster plus be less likely to send me so nose high? The other thing I wonder is by purposefully going slow over the double to give my rear wheel more time to hook up am I making it harder to get enough speed as opposed to lauching over the doubles with speed, touching down for just a bit but in 3rd and powering over the triple? What makes it even tougher as this track almost never gets watered and it's sandy as it's next to the beach so finding traction is tough. I think if it was freshly watered (will be soon as next race is coming up) I could clear it easy yet quite a few guys are making it as it is.

Thanks!

There is a jump at my SX track that is giving me troubles and I could use some advice. Since this has more to do with getting the quickest burst of speed out of my '06YZ450F I put it here rather then MX technique.

I've jumped much bigger gaps but this jump is tricky for me because it's more technical. Out of a tight left hand 180 degree turn I instantly encounter a small double (maybe 10' peak to peak almost like 2 whoops) then upon landing I have about 8-10' of flat before I hit the face of what can be a double or triple. The double's a joke so I'm now working on the triple which is 60' to the top of the landing ramp.

What I've been doing it coming out of the turn in 2nd, hopping the double and then nailing the throttle to clear it. The first time I over jumped the double, had less time to gather speed and went off the lip way nose high so I hurt my thumb when my rear hit the face of the landing slamming my front down hard. A few days later (after icing the crap out of my thumb) I tried again and still went way nose high but made it to the top. Out of about 10 attempts, 1 time I landed smooth on the backside of the ramp, 3-4 times I cleared it just barely but still landed nose high and the rest of the time I came up a little short and was nose high (one of these times tweaking my ankle).

Obviously one thing I need to do on this is lean further forward and or brake tap (which I'm still not that good at on something technical where a bunch of things are happening at once) as I pretty much have to be on full gas right to the end. So my question to you guys is do I keep working on this in 2nd gear and just get smoother as I know it can be done in 2nd? Or do I do what some guys do and click it into 3rd while in the air over the double and then use 3rd to clear it?

What I'm trying to figure out is given my very short runway will 2nd accelerate faster in it's higher RPMs or will 3rd be faster plus be less likely to send me so nose high? The other thing I wonder is by purposefully going slow over the double to give my rear wheel more time to hook up am I making it harder to get enough speed as opposed to lauching over the doubles with speed, touching down for just a bit but in 3rd and powering over the triple? What makes it even tougher as this track almost never gets watered and it's sandy as it's next to the beach so finding traction is tough. I think if it was freshly watered (will be soon as next race is coming up) I could clear it easy yet quite a few guys are making it as it is.

Thanks!

I would try keeping it in 3rd around the turn and instead of landing the first double perfectly kinda over jump it a little and carry your momentum into the triple.

3rd seems pretty high for this tight turn. Even guys on 250Fs are coming out in second and then shifting. Part of the problem is that I'm not very fast in the turns especially when they are tight. I will have to try to carry more momentum but I'll have to get in 3rd one way or another because the first time I over jumped the doubles I came up the shortest of all my jumps because I just couldn't get enough speed in 2nd by the time I landed after the double.

On something like this I normally try to clear it a couple times comfortably in second by preloading the triple and brake tapping if I need to. Then once I feel OK getting over it that way I'll click up and do it in third (you still don't want to double the first part long probably). Usually even though your not on the gas nearly as hard, todays 4-strokes have so much torque that you'll clear it easily. I spent 20 years on 2 strokes though, so I almost always dial it in in the lower gear the first few times though...

Sounds almot Identical to a triple at a indoor near by. When you get outta the turn and hit that first double in 2nd, click 3rd in the air and sit down for the landing. When you land get on the throttle and feather the clutch a bit to get the R's up and you should be set up good in that next 10 ft. to clear it.

Thanks for the good advice you two. Why sitting when I land after the double will that give me more traction? I went to the track and tried it again a few times and it's dicey. I was only doing it in 2nd and I just barely am getting over the landing. I'm half tempted to seat bounce it because it will help me launch plus get the nose down upon landing but I've never seat bounced anything over 30' and it seems like a lot could go wrong with that much time in the air. What do you guys think, are seat bounces usually for smaller jumps or is it common to do it on something like this?

My MRD pipe came in today so I'll see how much that helps. I should try it in 3rd but I'm so nervous about it bogging or any sort of hesitation because if anything doesn't go right I come up short and it hurts. I've already sprained a thumb and an ankle (different days) on this one coming up short.

Yeah, when you sit down for a landing it really makes the rear tire dig in. I'v never tried a 60 ft. seat bounce. I usually only do it if theres a big gap after a really sharp turn, or maybe on a rhythem section.

There was a jump at my last arenacross race almost the same as your describing this one. I would come out of the turn for the first double and try to stand up right out of the 180 degree turn and clear it nose high and then I couldn't land the second one due to collecting myself after the first double well the first 2 nights I was doing the same thing over and over. I would come out of the turn and then stand up as fast as I could out of the corner and go nose high and case the heck out of the second one because I wasn't situated in time from the first one. Well after watching the Pro's do it. On the third and final night I noticed they'd come out of the turn and stay sitting down and hit the first double and then stand up after it and then prepare for the next one. So I tried it in practice and it worked. It felt so good. I would come out of the 180 degree turn and stay seated and clear the first double and then stand up and clear the second one. It amazingly shaved several seconds off my lap time. The first 2 nights I got like 9th and 8th out of 12. then the third night after learning that I qualified 1st place and got 4th place in the main out of 12. That was just last weekend.

So it sounds like you were seat bouncing the first double then since you were remaining seated? The only concern I have with that is that I'm not hardly on the gas because I don't want to overjump the double. I have seat bounced that one in the past just playing around but since I'm hardly on the gas my nose dives which is ok because it's such a small jump that it doesn't cause any issues.

Sounds almot Identical to a triple at a indoor near by. When you get outta the turn and hit that first double in 2nd, click 3rd in the air and sit down for the landing. When you land get on the throttle and feather the clutch a bit to get the R's up and you should be set up good in that next 10 ft. to clear it.

Word:thumbsup: !

Also, soak up the small double with your legs and arms while shifting- if I am visualizing this obstacle right. It will give you more run-up time while clutching it in 3rd. Seatbouncing the small double may get you a little too much air, and scrubbing while seated and trying to upshift in the air while grabbing the clutch is some advanced stuff.