Sign in to follow this  

synthetic vs regular OIL

Bout to buy a bike bike from somebody and the bike currently runs on Synthetic oil. I change the oil so frequently that I use regular oil. The bike is an 07 crf 450 and i want to switch it to regular oil. Everybody says that's not the thing to do. WEll what happends if you DO. What is it just a performance loss? i mean the bike is 5 months old. What could possibly happen

i am not a oil expert but i run shell rottea dino engine and tranny 700cc in the trans side

So it's not going to do crap if i change from synthetic to regular oil.. i always heard in cars once you run synthetic you have to run it forever?

ALSo how much Oil are you running in your transmission.. i heard to run a little more than the owners manual? my o5 used to run 590 cc i ran 620

more than whats stamped on the tranny side for sure, i been running 700cc whatever it takes to keep the thing from squeelin kickstarter gear or something down there if you don't have enough oil in it

Sinthetic oil will allow you to fun a little hotter in both the tranny and engine (less thermal breakdown), additives last about 3X longer (longer oil change intervals), and less internal wear on bearings, rings, valves etc. I am a heavy mechanic at a mine and we WONT run anything less than synthetic in our engines ($350,000 +) and I am not running anything less in my 06' CRF450. One problem with synthetic is that if you have any oil leaks that you havent found; if you switch over to synthetic from conventional oil you will find them now. Thats just my 2 cents.

Sinthetic oil will allow you to fun a little hotter in both the tranny and engine (less thermal breakdown), additives last about 3X longer (longer oil change intervals), and less internal wear on bearings, rings, valves etc. I am a heavy mechanic at a mine and we WONT run anything less than synthetic in our engines ($350,000 +) and I am not running anything less in my 06' CRF450. One problem with synthetic is that if you have any oil leaks that you havent found; if you switch over to synthetic from conventional oil you will find them now. Thats just my 2 cents.

Both you guys should do an oil search. There is more info on oil in this forum than you can possibly read in a full weekend.

ive heard if you run syn oil and then go to reg ,they have different properties and you will get bad seals.only if syn oil was run for a long time how long ?