Longtime NC Rider Returning to The Dirt

Live in SE North Carolina and looking to network with dual-sport and trail riders within the area. Spend most of my time between Wilmington and Beech Mtn. Just finished setting-up an 07 DRZ400S and anxious to find area's to ride. Any groups or clubs in the area? May try to work toward some HS adventures.

I also live in Eastern NC; just east of New Bern. I plan on making a trek to Brushy the weekend of 16,17,18 March. I plan on camping there for the duration. Just a bit far for one day. I went there for the first time about a month ago. Great place. Over the winter I ride once in a while in the Croatan forest. Very flat and very limited trails. However, I have a DRZ 400s that is fine there. Brown Mt. and the trails at Uwharrie are not open until April. I go to those two places when I can. Uwharrie is the closest to me. Uwharrie is not for the faint of heart. Many folks complain about the 4x4's using the trails. I'm used to them and don't normally have any problems going around them.

That's one riding area in N.C. I've not been to yet. Like you say,I've

heard mixed reviews.Some people like it o.k.-some people hated it.

I've heard it's pretty rocky,true? I get the impression it's somewhat

like Tellico,Also a 4wd mecca but I've always had a fun ride every

time we went. I'd like to make it to Uwharrie at least once this season.

Can you elaborate on the "faint of heart" stuff-that's usually what I'm

looking for.(might have to bring the trials bike) Is there much single

track?

I also live in Eastern NC; just east of New Bern. I plan on making a trek to Brushy the weekend of 16,17,18 March. I plan on camping there for the duration. Just a bit far for one day. I went there for the first time about a month ago. Great place. Over the winter I ride once in a while in the Croatan forest. Very flat and very limited trails. However, I have a DRZ 400s that is fine there. Brown Mt. and the trails at Uwharrie are not open until April. I go to those two places when I can. Uwharrie is the closest to me. Uwharrie is not for the faint of heart. Many folks complain about the 4x4's using the trails. I'm used to them and don't normally have any problems going around them.

John, Thanks for the info on Brushy. My grand daughter is in town for that weekend. I'm located in Wilmington and plan to do some time at Brown Mtn and Brushy this year. Have a condo near each. Like to hook up some time out here in the East. Semper Fi Jeff

Trailtracks, Uwharrie can be very rocky and is the nearest place to the coast with real terrain to appreciate. The place has four what I call challenging hills; Dickey Bell, Dutch John, Rocky Mountain, and Daniel. The last being what I term 80% hill. By 80% I mean that I only make it clean about 80% of the time. They all have their technical spots, The last 1/3 of Daniel is a “technical spot” full of large rocks, large rocks that move under you, and on a very steep hill to keep you honest. In the heat of the summer I call it heart-attack ridge for those unfortunates that don’t make it.

Jeffhnc, I wouldn’t mind showing you the somewhat limited amount of trail knowledge I possess concerning Brushy Mt. The first time I’ll be able to go to Brushy is the weekend of March 16-18. After that time period, I’m committed until after May 8th, at which time my schedule opens up considerably.

Brushy is a good place to bring folks of all abilities. (Uwharrie is not IMHO for novices.) They have a great trail system offering something for all. The trails are well marked and normally very well maintained. They have a moto-track that is more like what I used to ride. The track is not a series of 70 foot jumps. It’s a loop on the side of a mountain full of turns.

Let me know when you’re going riding and if I’m able, I’d be happy to join you. I’ll most likely go 5-8 times between the three (Brown, Brushy, Uwharrie) places this summer.

• 13 years later...
On 2/16/2007 at 4:22 PM, jeffhnc said:

Live in SE North Carolina and looking to network with dual-sport and trail riders within the area. Spend most of my time between Wilmington and Beech Mtn. Just finished setting-up an 07 DRZ400S and anxious to find area's to ride. Any groups or clubs in the area? May try to work toward some HS adventures.

I’m trying to find somebody to ride with I have a dual sport Drz 400 S it’s a 2018