Sign in to follow this  

pro-wheels rims what do you think?

I just got a set of pro-wheels rims for my bike. Kinda disapointed when I saw "made in china" on the box. Then I opened the box and I was a little more disappointed when I saw them. they look kind of cheesy and the finish is not that great either. It almost looks like they are powder coated and not anodized. Has anyone tried them? How do they compare to stock D.I.D. rims? Should I put throw them back on ebay?

I got some for christmas and couldnt bring myself to take off perfectly good excels for those so had my wife return them. I heard from a couple people they bend and dent easy. and they had problems trueing them up. but no personal experience. may be awesome.

i'm not possitive..but i don't think pro-wheel rims will accept over sized spokes

without mods? that would be a factor for me if i was looking at those rims.. does anybody know if this is true?

I'v had mine on for over a year and they have worked great for me. Better than the did rims I took of

I didn't have to do any drilling for my Pro-Wheels when I put Buchanan spokes in. The rims were easy to true when new, but like ANY BRAND rim they will bend in someway.(off axis). No rim can stay true even with perfect spoke tightening. My rims have no dents or cracks or anything in them, and I ride in all conditions. I would suggest them to anyone.

Do stock spokes work with the Pro Wheels? Is the finish really that poor?

they did on mine, I'm not sure for other applications. The finish is not that bad actually, they look pretty bad ass to tell you the true. I only have one ride on them so I can't really tell you how well they will hold up, but so far so good

I have laced up 2 sets of Pro-wheels before and each time the weld has a bad spot that I can't get out. Like the one guy on here said, no rim is perfect. They may look perfect but when you stick them on a truing stand with a runout gauge they are not. Also the rims are made in China, but pro-wheels hubs are made in the USA, and while they are heavy, they are a pretty good hub IMO. But I would just rather spend the extra on Excels.

I have a set of practice wheels laced with the thicker ss spokes and prowheel rims. I went for two rides and both front and back were seriously loose. I took it back for tightening up and after about three or four rides same thing except this time both wheels are cracked on the joint. Just curious as to wether anyone else has experienced the same thing?

I have laced up 2 sets of Pro-wheels before and each time the weld has a bad spot that I can't get out. Like the one guy on here said, no rim is perfect. They may look perfect but when you stick them on a truing stand with a runout gauge they are not. Also the rims are made in China, but pro-wheels hubs are made in the USA, and while they are heavy, they are a pretty good hub IMO. But I would just rather spend the extra on Excels.

I'd have no problem spending the extra money on Excel's but I hate the idea of chucking perfectly good spokes (OEM) to use them. Well, that and the splined nipples which seem like they would be a PITA.

I agree though that the Pro-Wheels have the bad spot at the seam you mention and, well, you might as well forget about getting that out in truing. Other than that, mine trued up fine for MX.

I haven't ridden with them yet so I'm hoping that my story with them has a happy ending. If not, I'll go the Excel route. :applause:

IMG_3659_web.jpg