Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 sprockets?

Does anyone know if I can get a front sprocket smaller than 13 and a back sprocket bigger than 52 for my KX 250?

It's a 2003, and I need to lower my gears b/c it's set up to high for woods/harescramble racing when you get back in the tight stuff.

I think you can but I'm not sure why you need such low gearing. Anyway, just be sure that the 52 will clear your chain guide. You might check over at Motosport.com and see if they list that for your bike.

A friend of mine uses a 12 tooth(not sure where he got it) but with a o-ring chain it wore the case abit next to the sprocket. I would rather wear the chain guide. Anyway take a good look if you use a 12 tooth. Ed

You can get sprockets practically any size you want, you'll pay more because they are special. I have all the way to 58 teeth. Vortex and sprocket specialties will make what you want. probably cost you an extra $20

I would not change the front sprocket, get a larger rear sprocket. I would only go another 2 maybe 3 teeth more on the rear.

Does anyone know if I can get a front sprocket smaller than 13 and a back sprocket bigger than 52 for my KX 250?

Yeah the older KX's you could run a 12 but the newer units' cases are slightly different and anything smaller than 13 will rub the case.

According to Rocky Mountain ATV, you can go as low as a 12T on the front and 51T on the rear for a 2003 KX250.

Karl

Alright, thanx for all your help guys.

No problem :applause:

And if I understand it correctly, a 12/51 combo would be equivalent to either a 13/53 or 13/54. Dropping one tooth on the front sprocket equals adding two or three on the rear.

Would someone please verify this? Don't want to be giving out wrong info.

Karl

One more or less for the front sprocket will equal 3 on a rear sprocket. But remember, we are dealing with a 250 smoker, if you go down to a 12 tooth front sprocket and more teeth on the rear sprocket the bike will beat the snot out of your arms in the woods. You will be fighting the power of the mean green machine to much. My 04 250 is running the stock set up now. I did try to go down 2 teeth on the rear to tame the hit in the woods, but it made the bike to boggy in the lower gears and too fast on top.

No problem :applause:

And if I understand it correctly, a 12/51 combo would be equivalent to either a 13/53 or 13/54. Dropping one tooth on the front sprocket equals adding two or three on the rear.

Would someone please verify this? Don't want to be giving out wrong info.

Karl