Willing to take bike with out title

I sold my 02 CRF450R yesterday, I am making room for another one soon. I was going over all the work and extras that were on the bike and also telling him some of the maintance routines I have to keep it up and going strong.

The buyer has a 2stroke and never worked on a 4stroke so I was going over the 5 Ws and the How on Valves.

I told him that the bike is running like a top and I got nervous because I moved a year ago and when I went to find the title it was not where i remember putting it. I told him i spent 5 hours on Sunday looking for it and it was right under my nose the entire time! I told him i thought, "wow all that work to get the bike all cleaned up and running like a top only to not be able to sell it because i cant find the title".

He looked at me and said "why, i would have still bought it?" I told him that i couldnt sell him it in good conscience to him knowing that it was not papered. He said that it was all bs any way and who cares about titles, not like it needs to be inspected to ride.

I gave him the title and helped him load it but the entire time I was thinking about the thread taht was posted here the other day about the guy wanting to buy a bike with out a title and how upset (rightfully) everyone was that he was thinking about doing it. and to have a guy standing infront of me buying my bike and thinking the title part was bs.

Just struck me as wrong. Well i did the right thing and gave him all my paper work for it. I told him though if he told me next week that he had to sell the bike back to me and didnt have the title, I wouldnt buy it!

He laughed and drove off. I am still dumbfounded by it.

So far i`ve bought 4 used dirtbikes, none had titles, i sold 6 (lost the title on the XR100 i bought) only one had a title. I always print out a bill of sell and have both of us sign it. Around here anyways, a used dirtbike without a title is no big deal.

If i found a 05 for $1500 i wouldn`t touch that, but finding a clean bike at a fair price in the local trader is a pretty safe deal. Hot bikes go cheap, they want to sell them fast and have nothing in them anyways.

Buying a bike without a title isnt necessarily a no-no. Ive got an XR500 I got for free but didnt have paper work. But I did go to the DMV and run the engine number, frame number and the plate number that it had on it and it all came back ok.

And Vampire, youre right, I dumped that thread. It pissed me off. And Im not sorry about it either. Ive had two motorcycles, A California bug that Id poured my heart and soul into and a Turbo Charged 66' Chevy half ton stolen from me. Not to mention half a dozen bicycles...I've got a special place for thieves. A cold, wet, dark, dirty place that smells of rotting flesh.

You get no title for off road vehicles in Wisconsin. If you bought my bikes you would get no title, because there is non to be had. I know htere are a few other states with no titles on off road bikes.

The same deal for North Carolina.. bill of sale only.

Here in PA dirtbikes are titled....they title everything here,its a major pain in the a$$. I wouldnt worry about the title unless you plan on trading it in cause no dealer here will touch it without a title unless its a consignment only sale & then they need a notarized document outlining the entire sale (incase the DMV ever inspects there records). Also you can call the DMV and give me the VIN and they will run a check on it cause if you bought it and theres a lien on it you better have some paperwork, we went thru this on a quad one time bought out of state (a non titling neighboring state)but was from PA at one point and 5 yrs later still had a lien in it!, didnt have time to run the VIN numbers with the state and got bit in the end!

I picked this one up in NY about 3 years ago and it was titled. I can see in other states where they dont have a title that owner paper work would do too, but to except a bike with out any paper work saying is was a square deal, seems a little irrisponsible. I had an xr 50 stolen out of the bed of my pick up withing 30 seconds of me going into a convenience store. So i have NO patients for theives! Nor for people willing to buy from them.

about 4 yrs ago. I was pumping gas and a guy pulled up in a truck on the other side of hte pump. there were 3 guys with him. I went in to pay and use the bathroom and i got in and came out of hte bathroom and the truck was gone and so was my bike. They had video but could not get the number of his plate. at that point what can you do? Quakertown WaWa

I would buy a bike without a title if the seller is willing to give me a bill of sale with his name and address on it. Then you take that bill of sale to the DMV pay your sales tax and they will send you a title.

Not if theres a lein on it