Sign in to follow this  

Advice Appreciate on Grips

Hey Everyone,

I just bought an 06 KX250F about a month ago. I am going to order new grips, but I have not bought grips for a dirtbike before. The bike has Renthal handle bars on it. Are most grips standard? Just hate to buy something that would not fit. Also, how to go about removing them? I basically slid my ATV grips off when I changed them, but I dont think this will be that easy. Advice is appreciated. What do you do? thanks, Blaine

I LOVE my Scott grips. I recommend them. I am not to sure on how to put on/remove them. Mine were new when I bought the bike from a different man.

any dirt bike grip would work but i would go for the renthal kevilar, its soft and lasts a long time. use grip glue for putting on the grips so they dont turn on the bar. for removing them i use a air compresor and get a nosle small enough to stick under the grip and use the air to get it off.

Thanks guys, keep suggestions coming. How about the wire to place around the grips...anyone use that?

I use grip glue and wire works well for me.

ATV grips will not work so be carefull when purchasing. ATV (thumb throttle) grips are the same diameter on both sides. The throttle side glues directly onto the bar. ATV grips can be used on either side.

However

Dirt bike grips have a larger inner diameter on the throttle side so you can glue it to the throttle tube wich slides over the normal bar (7/8's inch at the grips on most all bars regardless of the size at the clamp) So you will have a clutch side grip (like an ATV) and a throttle side grip (larger inner hole on grip)

I have seen rubber cement and contact cement used to keep grips solid on the bars. Even spray paint....it allows the grip to slide on and then dries sticky.

Many people safety tie their grips. I do not.

• Like 1

renthal kevlar, great soft grips, another way to remove the grips is to slit them w/ a razorblade and then peel them off. of course you cant use them again, but thats what your getting new grips for right?

I use cheap hair spray, it works great. Use the stickiest "AquaNet" type hairspray. After you get the handlebars and throttle tube clean, spray the handlebar area that the grip goes on with hairspray. Then spray inside the grip, another coat on the handlebar and slide the grip on, position it quickly and leave it alone til dry, about 15 to 45 minutes. Do the same to the throttle tube. I safety wire the grips after everything is back together and mounted.

Renthal Kevlar grips, with 3m adhesive spray to hold them on

Can you get the 3M spray at home depot/lowes? How long does the glue and grips last?

Can you get the 3M spray at home depot/lowes? How long does the glue and grips last?

yup you can get it at home depot. Its basically all purpose glue in an aresol can. I just put the grips on yesterday, but rode around the farm today... grips havent budged and feel very soft. They have a firm, but soft and tacky feel.

Renthal Kevlar grips, with 3m adhesive spray to hold them on

Do they slide on very easy and how much time do you have to work them?

Do they slide on very easy and how much time do you have to work them?

it is harder than the gorrilla glue i used to use, (if you use it, dont add a lot at all... it expands wehn it dries) but its not too hard. Takes some good twisting but theyll go on.

Before installing grips, I either spray some spray paint in them OR dump a little gas in them. It's some kind of chemical reaction. I usually wrap some grip wire around it also.

it is harder than the gorrilla glue i used to use, (if you use it, dont add a lot at all... it expands wehn it dries) but its not too hard. Takes some good twisting but theyll go on.

You've used gorilla glue on grips? I can't imagine getting that off