Sign in to follow this  

New owner of a 2005 WR250f - Some questions

Hello all and many thanks to TT and it's members. You guys where a great help when I was deciding on what bike to upgrade to. I finally decided to go with a wr250f and found one in town. This weekend will be it's first time out. On to the questions:

Are there any online downloadable manuals? The guy didn't give me the manual with the bike.

I've given the bike a good once over. Tighten up hardware, replaced missing hardware (can you believe a front caliper bolt was missing!), and just given the bike a good look all around. Antifreeze is up to the radiator cap and the overflow near the rear fender is about 1/4 full. But oil! First time I've had a bike with oil in the frame. What is the proper procedure for checking the oil level?

Any other items you guys suggest I should look at before my first run? Thanks for all the info guys.

Not sure on the 05, but on my 06... there's a plastic screw cap with a dipstick on the left side of the steering coumn on the frame. Warm up the bike and check the level.

I'd recommend changing the oil outright anyway though, cause you never know with a used bike, despite what the seller said. Check www.thumperfaq.com for the oil changing procedure.

I've looked at the thumper talk faqs. Until I get a manual, with this be ok?

Drain the frame tank

Drain the crankcase

Reinstall drain plugs

Refill

Just confirming the bike takes 15w-50?

There is what seams to be a fill plug on the left side of the motor. When I put new oil in, where do I put it? In the frame tank, the motor, or both? Thanks.

Fill the motor with just under 1 1/2 q's . I think it's 1.3

Start the motor and let it warm up . the manual says to shut off and wait 5 minutes , then check the level on the dipstick . I suppose that lets some of the oil drain back to the crankcase before checking the reservoir .

Since it's a dry sump , the concerns with overfilling aren't quite as drastic . Overfilling a wet sump engine wreaks havoc on piston rings .

Take care not to over torque the oil filter screws . They strip easily . :ride:

Enjoy the new wheels . Ride it like you stole it ! :censored:

You're goiong to need to check and clean or change the filter periodically as well. It's on the front right side of the motor. Three allen screws in a triangle pattern.

Go to MXSOUTH.com click on OEM PARTS and you can order a manuel through them, or get on Yamaha's website. Be sure to clean your oil strainer every oil change.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Between this and talking with my buddy that has an 03 YZ I got it all worked out. I also got an 05 manual off the Australian Yamaha website. The US site doesn't let me download the manual.

Anyway, I picked up some gold cap Mobil 1 10w30. I'll warm up the bike, drain it, and refill through the oil fill on the motor. Start, check level, and should be good for tomorrow at least.

And most definitely, I'll be picking up a manual if the original owner doesn't send it to me. The manual; the most important tool for any bike! Thanks for all the help.

I'm checking the filter as well and that should be it for this maintenance session. I also got the torque settings from the Australian manual for the hardware. Only one last question:

Is 10w30 ok? I hear most people talking about 15w50 weight oils. The Australian manual says 10w30 is ok for my temp range, but I just want to double check. Thanks.

I'm checking the filter as well and that should be it for this maintenance session. I also got the torque settings from the Australian manual for the hardware. Only one last question:

Is 10w30 ok? I hear most people talking about 15w50 weight oils. The Australian manual says 10w30 is ok for my temp range, but I just want to double check. Thanks.

Before I put my Rekluse Z Clutch in I used 10W40 now I use 15W40 Rotella T. Which is recommended for the Z Clutch. Also I use the Scott's Stainless Steel oil filter. $65.00 bucks you can't beat it.:censored:

Before I put my Rekluse Z Clutch in I used 10W40 now I use 15W40 Rotella T. Which is recommended for the Z Clutch. Also I use the Scott's Stainless Steel oil filter. $65.00 bucks you can't beat it.:censored:

Agree with the ss filter. Have used both reg oil and synthetic with auto clutch ....who to believe? Some say only synthetic ..it hangs on the clutch plates better or Rotella non-syn because better no slip performance.

Here is the problem we often see on TT....Two competely different opinions and both cannot be right.

DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE STRAINER CONNECTED TO THE HOSE UNDER THE FRAME!

Get a piece of cardboard about 2ft tall for when you drain the frame. It will shoot out everywhere, same with the side bolt. I second the advise on being careful with the oil filter bolts. They do strip easily. DONT USE MOTUL IN IT. The motul oil makes the tranny notchy. I started using Mobile 1, it works great and shifts well.:censored:

As far as getting a manual, you are better off going ahead and spending the extra $5 or so and getting the SERVICE manual if you're gonna work on the bike yourself, you're local yamaha shop can get it for you!:censored:

I would use a heavier weight than 10w30 for more protection. I think you should follow Yamaha's minimum of 15w50 or get some 20w50 oil, or some 10w40 if thats too thick for your liking.

Right now I use Pennzoil's outdoor motorcycle 10w40 and change it every 3-4 hours.

Oh and, if you can use a motorcycle specific oil.

Agree with the ss filter. Have used both reg oil and synthetic with auto clutch ....who to believe? Some say only synthetic ..it hangs on the clutch plates better or Rotella non-syn because better no slip performance.

Here is the problem we often see on TT....Two competely different opinions and both cannot be right.

DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE STRAINER CONNECTED TO THE HOSE UNDER THE FRAME!

I agree, just do what you feel is right:thumbsup:

been running MOTUL 20/50 since the bike was new. ride every weekend,NO PROBLEMS (even AFTER big bore kit installed).

oil capacity should be around 100 cc LESS,if you do not change oil filter.

I am in apache junction. where do you live?

BikeFeb077.jpg

glenn