How to care for MX boots

one thing i was told is to store them lying down on their side, not standing up. supposedly, this keeps the weight of the boots from bending 'collapsing' the ankle part. you can see when you stand your boots up that the kinda bend over a bit at the ankle (mine do anyway) so i guess laying them down might help with this. :censored:

whatever, its not too much trouble to do so i do this anyway. whether it actually helps or not...i have no idea...

They say not to leave them out in the direct sunlight. After you wash them, let them dry in your garage or something. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I guess it is bad for the leather to sit in the sun for long periods of time.

I use Sno-Seal on the leather, it's a wax leather treatment. Just heat the boot up with a hair dryer/heat gun and rub it on, it softens the leather and waterproofs it. That and taking a hose to them post ride is all I've done. Dry them right side up or they won't completely dry, it allows the evaporating water to escape.

I gently hose (not pressure wash) and big chunks of mud off while using a nylon brush. Then a day or so later, when they're dry I use a clean rag and some Formula 409 to get them really clean. I know lots of people love Simple Green, but I'll take 409 any day for the same parts. It's safer, doesn't stink and in my opinion works just as well.

Why did they lock your thread?

ALL threads in the technical forum are locked from additional posting, and all submissions in that forum must be reviewed and approved before publication to keep the fluff to a minimum.

The Technical Articles & Tips Section is not a discussion forum, where you post questions and receive answers from fellow members. If you do post a question, you'll be wasting your time as it will not appear in this section and you will not receive any answers. If you have a question, post it in the appropriate forum, as listed on the Forum Index page.

This section is place where members can submit technical articles by category and tech tips that will be permanently archived for any member to refer to.

When an article or tip is submitted, it will not appear live on the site immediately. Instead, the submission is put in a moderating que and if approved by our technical content editor, it will then appear live for all to see. The vast majority of submissions are approved.

If you have a suggestion on how to improve the Technical Articles & Tips Section, click here.

ALL threads in the technical forum are locked from additional posting, and all submissions in that forum must be reviewed and approved before publication to keep the fluff to a minimum.

Oh yes, I didn’t even realize it was in the "Technical Articles & Tips Section " section.

I second the sno-seal application. Though, there's little leather on my Berik OVS boots. I also used the sno-seal welt-seal on the stitching holding the sole and plastic panels on. I think it will help prolong the stitching by keeping water and mud away. I thought it would also totally waterproof them but I found they leaked through slightly in the toe area with prolonged exposure washing my bike.

Also Eddie aka Burned suggested liberating some traffic cones and storing them upside down on the cone. That's what I do when they're not on the boot dryer!

Get yourself a set of PEET boot dryers. They cost between $30 and $40. They dry your boots properly, overnight, without damaging them. They are also a good place to store the boots, because there is no stress on the ankle of the boot.

That`s a great advice for a pair of piece of crap bots that cost around $90 bucks. :S

Those boots wont last long.

The sole on my boots got wasted in less than 3 months. And the ankle support was gone after the 7th ride or so.

Just wash them until they die and buy yourself another pair or upgrade to a better one.

My tech 8's will be 3 years old this june. I just wash them off with the hose and scrub them with a nylon brush when needed. Let them dry for a day or 2 and then i use Redwing boot oil on the leather. I put the oil on about once a month. My boots are always standing up and ive never had a problem with crumpling.