Sign in to follow this  

What is better for the sand?

Here is my situation. I currently have a 2005 KX250F that I have ridden on dirt but never sand. I don’t think it has enough power to haul my 200lb butt around on dirt so I know it’s going to be even worse in the sand. I have a KLX450F on order that I am going to use strictly for the desert; I think it will be too heavy and bulky for the sand. So now I am stuck with what to do. Do I sell the 250f and buy a 450f for the sand or do I do some motor work to the 250f to make it powerful enough for the sand. I really don’t want to sell the 250f, I have a ton on money dumped into it and the Enzo suspension is set up perfect for me. I would rather just spend some more money on the motor to make it work for sand riding. What would you do in this situation? If you were to keep the 250f what would you do to the motor to get more power out of it for sand riding? I am not talking about a few sand washes here and there, I mean like Pismo, Dumont, and Glammis sand. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list of all modifications done to the drive train.

Pro Circuit TI-4 full exhaust system

Factory R&D P-38 Lightning accelerator pump/air fuel screw

Pro Circuit JD Racing ignition

CV4 Silicone radiator hoses

Pro Circuit HD clutch springs

Pro Circuit water pump cover

Outlaw Racing 1.6 radiator cap

Napalm racing air filter mount

CRT stainless oil filter

WMR decompression plug cap

Boysen clutch cover

I was thinking a big bore kit, cams, etc…

Is there anything you would change or take off that I have done or anything you would add?

• Like 1

A bbk cams and porting would help but im only 125lbs and wouldnt really want anything less than a 250 two stroke when i go the sand (sand mtn, nv). I would buy a 450 and have the suspension set up.

i have a 250f and i ordered a skat-trak paddle with the verticle fins inbetween the cups and i have no problems at the dunes. i weigh 165 though but that shouldnt make that big of difference. that paddle i got is awesome for the great traction out on the sand and the fins help great to keep the bike upright. when i think im going down just blip the throttle a little and it straightens right up. and the fins help to not wear the paddles down riding on the access (concrete) roads around the dunes.

It would probabally be cool for a few times, i just think you would want more.

• Like 1

That’s not what I wanted to hear but thank you for your input. Anyone else???

That’s not what I wanted to hear but thank you for your input. Anyone else???

I got cams, porting, piston, ign, pipe, carb and while it is faster its not what you would think..........besides in the sand you want torque and 450's have that........HP on 250fs is really expensive......get a 450 it will also last a lot longer!